Get the ECT News Network Editor's Pick Newsletter » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

MacNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   MacNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: iOS 4 Murders iPhone 3G ... but Nobody's Perfect

Re: iOS 4 Murders iPhone 3G ... but Nobody's Perfect
Posted by: Erika Morphy 2010-07-30 05:43:33
See Full Story

Apple is looking into reports that its iOS 4 does not run well on older devices such as the iPhone 3G and 3GS. To be sure, Apple has warned from the beginning that not all of the features -- in particular, the multitasking in iOS 4 -- could be supported on older devices. However, owners of those phones have found that upgrading resulted in problems more extreme than the lack of new features. Most of the complaints center on devices that slow down to the point where they are barely functional.

iOS 4 on 3G/3GS
Posted by: lemoon 2010-08-23 20:07:54 In reply to: Erika Morphy
Apple has warned from the beginning that not all of the features -- in particular, the multitasking in iOS 4 -- could be supported on older devices.
But so many folks were looking forward to!
pat
guys, for iOS4 and 3GS, I think should learn this update guide "iOS 4 Upgrade Guide: Install iOS 4 on Your iPhone" located in iFunia iPhone column first, and then can make full use of iOS multitasking!

Deeper than just slowing down
Posted by: hmshapiro 2010-08-05 10:00:19 In reply to: Erika Morphy
Next to surface will be the woeful performance of all iPhones in detecting and signing on to WiFi, compared to that of the recent Droids.

The problem with iOS 4 on a 3G iPhone is much deeper than sluggishness: Javascript does not always work, even Apple's apps such as 'Settings' crash, the 3G spontaineously performs a hard reset, mail that was deleted suddenly reappears as new mail, screens freeze not just slow down.

It's hard to imagine that any kind of testing of iOS 4 was done using 3G iPhones.

Although the problems were reported within hours it took Apple over 5-weeks to even acknowlege that the 3G iPhones were experiencing serious problems.

It's no surprise!
Posted by: Bakersss 2010-08-01 15:51:17 In reply to: Erika Morphy
iOS 4 works well on iPhone 4, so so on iPhone 3GS, terrible on 3G, it's no surprise to me.
Do not try to make iPhone 3G work better. I don't believe iOS 4 will be fine on 3G. I just hope Apple can fix the problem on 3GS.

-------------------------------
You'd better backup your iPhone
to your Mac, before set up the
iOS 4!
http://www.iphonemactransfer.com

Do they test these upgrades?
Posted by: jescott418 2010-07-30 05:50:59 In reply to: Erika Morphy
OK I do not have a iPhone but I had a iPod Touch which was a 8GB one but was the newest model. I realized it had a slower CPU so when it upgraded to IOS4 I knew I would not get all the features. What I did not expect was to get a slower and less responsive Touch. Luckily I was able to send my Touch back to Apple for a refund. I really wished they (Apple) would test their new OS on older and slower hardware better before they allow it to upgrade. At least make it easier to downgrade back.
Jump to:
If my employer requires me to return to the company's office full-time to perform my job, I will...
Agree, because I like my job regardless of where I perform my duties.
Comply, because I can't afford to lose my current job.
Go with the flow, but start looking for different employment.
Resign immediately, so I can dedicate all of my time to find a job that better suits my needs.
Try to negotiate a hybrid work from home / work in office arrangement with my employer.