Get the E-Commerce Minute Newsletter from the E-Commerce Times » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

MacNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   MacNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: An iPhone for Verizon and Sprint: Dream On

Re: An iPhone for Verizon and Sprint: Dream On
Posted by: Rob Walch 2010-05-28 07:23:27
See Full Story

One of the early predictions of a Verizon iPhone goes back to 2007, when ZDNet's Russell Shaw predicted the iPhone would be on Verizon within a year. Since then, there have been countless other stories offering predictions or circulating rumors that inside sources had disclosed a Verizon iPhone would "definitely" be coming in the next week/month/year. All obviously have been proven to be false. When Steve Jobs delivers his WWDC keynote on June 7, one of the big questions people hope he will answer is what carriers in the U.S. will be getting the next-generation iPhone.

iPhone availability
Posted by: Roger Barnes 2010-06-01 13:16:38 In reply to: Rob Walch
When the 3G iPhone came out, AT&T said publicly that while the subsidies would put some pressure on margins initially, it was better for them long-term because they did not have a revenue share with that gen of the iPhone. So, if your belief that they would not bring the iPhone to other carriers was based on the notion that they likely have a revenue share place, you can rest assured that it is no longer there. (Go back and read AT&T's quarterly earnings release conference call transcript if you'd like proof.)

That also lends credence to the idea that they probably re-negotiated the contract at some point, and if AT&T was taking away the revenue share, you can rest assured Apple got a reduction of the exclusivity terms.

Honestly, I don't see the phone coming to Sprint, even though I'm a Sprint fanatic myself. Apple loves to control the user experience, and bringing the phone to multiple carriers in the US is probably more annoying than they care for. I believe that they will either open the phone to Verizon, or open it to Verizon, T-Mobile, AND Sprint. What reason would they have NOT to send the iPhone to T-Mobile if they're already opening it up to Sprint? I think they'll either just add Verizon in the US, or make the device as carrier agnostic as they can and let the users decide. They will either lean towards the control route and only launch on the two biggest carriers, or they'll actually get smart (they're smart with design and marketing, but their secrecy-driven paranoia makes them stupid sometimes) and open it up to everyone and stop being paranoid to the detriment of sales.

The smart way.
Posted by: Bakersss 2010-05-29 08:28:35 In reply to: Rob Walch
Focus on the simple matter, or make it simple. the Apple style.

One dealer of Apple iPhone, maybe the best choice.

iPhone Mac Transfer software just for making easy.
http://www.iphonemactransfer.com
Jump to:
If my employer requires me to return to the company's office full-time to perform my job, I will...
Agree, because I like my job regardless of where I perform my duties.
Comply, because I can't afford to lose my current job.
Go with the flow, but start looking for different employment.
Resign immediately, so I can dedicate all of my time to find a job that better suits my needs.
Try to negotiate a hybrid work from home / work in office arrangement with my employer.