Get the E-Commerce Minute Newsletter from the E-Commerce Times » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

MacNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   MacNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: iPad Sales Boom While Netbooks Gather Dust

Re: iPad Sales Boom While Netbooks Gather Dust
Posted by: Erika Morphy 2010-05-08 04:47:53
See Full Story

The iPad appears to be making significant inroads into the netbook market, based on research findings and the conclusions of a Morgan Stanley analyst, but other analysts aren't so quick to agree. Netbook sales are no longer growing at the double-digit rates of the last few years, noted analyst Katy Huberty, based on research conducted by Morgan Stanley and NPD. Also bolstering her case is a Morgan Stanley/Alphawise survey that found 44 percent of U.S. consumers who planned to buy an iPad claimed to be buying it instead of a netbook or laptop.

iPad vs netbook
Posted by: mitrich 2010-05-08 04:53:42 In reply to: Erika Morphy
Netbooks are bound to fade even without the iPad.
They are really very slow digital toys, inexpensive and cute.

I have on, an Acer 150-1635. I paid US$299.99 and it is worth every penny. I bought it to manage a hard drive of music and video and do a bit of crunching on projects running BOINC software. Today, it is just doing the crunching, with its Intel Atom N270 1.6 gig processor. It has never had a failed work unit.

But, even on the music, it was so
p-a-i-n-f-u-l-l-y slow, I replaced it with a Dell Studio14 with an i5-520M processor.

Netbooks are little more than a fad.

Unfortunately, they have been and still are being purchased by naive folks who think that they are real computers.
Jump to:
If my employer requires me to return to the company's office full-time to perform my job, I will...
Agree, because I like my job regardless of where I perform my duties.
Comply, because I can't afford to lose my current job.
Go with the flow, but start looking for different employment.
Resign immediately, so I can dedicate all of my time to find a job that better suits my needs.
Try to negotiate a hybrid work from home / work in office arrangement with my employer.