Get the ECT News Network Weekly Newsletter » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

MacNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   MacNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Jobs on Adobe: My Way or the Highway

Re: Jobs on Adobe: My Way or the Highway
Posted by: Richard Adhikari 2010-04-29 12:50:23
See Full Story

Apple CEO Steve Jobs published an open letter on Apple's website Thursday spelling out his criticisms of Adobe Flash. In short, it's really all about the technology, he wrote. Flash is proprietary, dated, unreliable and unsecure, according to Jobs. It guzzles battery juice, can't handle touchscreens and will denigrate the user experience, the Apple cofounder opined. Could Jobs really be turning his back on Adobe, or are his biting remarks really the opening steps of a complex mating dance that will continue to see Apple and Adobe working together?

Thanks Mr. Narayen.
Posted by: Marcos_Herasme 2010-04-30 07:28:30 In reply to: Richard Adhikari
Mr. Narayen says: "We have different views of the world," Narayen tells The Journal. "Our view of the world is multi-platform." and Jobs says: "The third party may not adopt enhancements from one platform unless they are available on all of their supported platforms. Hence developers only have access to the lowest common denominator set of features." and add, "It is not Adobe’s goal to help developers write the best iPhone, iPod and iPad apps. It is their goal to help developers write cross platform apps."

Thanks again Mr. Narayen to support Mr. Jobs assessment.

No further question your Honor.

Good on Apple
Posted by: mvanr 2010-04-29 22:00:02 In reply to: Richard Adhikari
Personally, I and many other web users hate flash sites. They are often jittery and slow and most of the time you can't even select text to copy to the clipboard. Flash ads are worse and I run flashblock to stop them, turning flash on only for selected individual components that I choose to see. There's nothing that we need Flash for and very interactive apps can be build without it. I hope Apple sticks to its guns.

For a smart guy...
Posted by: alangrus 2010-04-29 15:37:36 In reply to: Richard Adhikari
For a smart guy, Jobs misses major points. Tens of thousands of developers are now making real business Applications in Adobe Flex that happen to run in the Flash player. This is the most advanced and richly featured development environment out there. As the latest Flash players run on ALL computers and all smartphones but his, Apple is missing that boat, not the other way around.

We developers don't really care about the movies, we want our high-end Apps to run in Flash.

Jobs is again misinformed about HTML5 being a "standard", its not. Its a vague proposal that is not at all accepted by most browsers, projected to become standard in 2013. Even then, it will be a support nightmare with all the disparate Video codecs. This helps us how?
Jump to:
If my employer requires me to return to the company's office full-time to perform my job, I will...
Agree, because I like my job regardless of where I perform my duties.
Comply, because I can't afford to lose my current job.
Go with the flow, but start looking for different employment.
Resign immediately, so I can dedicate all of my time to find a job that better suits my needs.
Try to negotiate a hybrid work from home / work in office arrangement with my employer.