Get the E-Commerce Minute Newsletter from the E-Commerce Times » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Digital River - Talk to the Experts
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

MacNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   MacNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: AT&T and the All-You-Can-Eat Dilemma

Re: AT&T and the All-You-Can-Eat Dilemma
Posted by: Chris Maxcer 2009-12-11 04:54:11
See Full Story

Listen. Wow. If you're reading this, there's a decent chance you've seen the inundation of whiny news stories and blog posts over the widely reported comments from Ralph de la Vega, president and chief executive for mobility and consumer markets at AT&T, and the admission that AT&T's data services suck -- my word -- in New York and San Francisco. Oh, along with that, 3 percent of smartphone users gobble up 40 percent of data bandwidth, and the data hogs are probably going to have to pay.

Days of Whine and Roses
Posted by: jdickey 2009-12-16 21:07:39 In reply to: Chris Maxcer
On *any* large-scale data network I've ever seen (in 30 years in this craft), <10% of the users ALWAYS use >70% of the data. Why did AT&T seriously expect the iPhone (if not 3G in general) to be any different? They've got more experience than anybody; heck, they were where I got MY first experience with large-scale networks.

And yes, I think the 2-year contracts are obvious - IF the consumer insists on "free or cheap" phones. I've been in Asia for the last ten years; here, many carriers will give you a nice "free or cheap" phone if you sign a long contract - BUT - you almost always have the option of paying more for the phone in exchange for a shorter-term contract, right on up to full list price for an unlocked, no-contract phone. Has that been tried recently (and with decent marketing support) in the US market?

agreed
Posted by: blackberryken 2009-12-11 08:55:43 In reply to: Chris Maxcer
I got the same "read between the lines" as you did Chris. Pretty much spot on.

My question, and I LOVE the analogy of burritos, if you up the cost to the AYCE burritos and create a 'reasonable' 2 fer or 3 fer program, you may loose those AYCE squatters but is it really a loss? Gaining your table space back for those customers who wanted to eat wouldn't be a bad thing.

Lop off the abusers, it that such a bad thing?
Jump to:
Which best describes what you think about requiring Covid-19 "vaccine passports?"
It will prompt more people to take the vaccine to help end the virus.
It will lessen restrictions and provide more freedom for individuals.
It is a violation of privacy and civil liberties.
It will lead to stigma and discrimination.
It will encourage counterfeits and other criminal activities.