Get the ECT News Network Weekly Newsletter » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

MacNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   MacNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: The Mac Cybercrime Immunity Fallacy

Re: The Mac Cybercrime Immunity Fallacy
Posted by: Randy Abrams 2009-11-21 09:13:47
See Full Story

Recently, ESET commissioned a poll to identify the knowledge, beliefs and experiences of Americans with respect to cybercrime. One of the findings was that 2 percent of Americans think that PCs are not vulnerable to cybercrime, while 9 percent feel a Mac is not vulnerable to cybercrime. Twenty-nine percent felt that a PC was only somewhat vulnerable to cybercrime attacks, where 42 percent felt a Mac was only somewhat vulnerable to cybercrime attacks. It has been extrapolated from the poll that Americans have lost $11 billion to cybercrime.

Cybercrime
Posted by: Kahless 2009-11-21 11:11:23 In reply to: Randy Abrams
You cannot protect people against being stupid or greedy. The people who try to get "free & illegal" copies of software deserve to get malware & trojans.
There is some confusion though in the article. There hasn't been a MacOS X virus released since 2006. I'll avoid the anti-virus software until there is a legitimate threat.

There are serious problems with this article
Posted by: LouisWheeler 2009-11-21 10:36:00 In reply to: Randy Abrams
No one ever suggested that Apple was immune to malware; it is just vastly superior to Microsoft Windows.

Apple's Unix foundations are pretty good. No one has been able to remotely break into Apple's Mac OS. There has never been a self replicating malware problem on Mac OSX. There have been vulnerabilities in Apple's Open Source foundations which has allowed Anti-virus experts at ConSecWest to spoof Mac OSX, but this never goes anywhere. Soon enough, the Mac OS is patched and the problem ends.

Hundreds of billions of dollars are wasted from malware, spam, phishing and Trojan horses on the web. Almost all of the problems come down to one computing system: Microsoft Windows.

Any computer user is vulnerable to social engineering attacks. This is a problem of user training, not of the computers themselves. Anti malware software will not help here. What the user needs is some common sense.

The writer of this article needs some common sense, too. He is slurring the differences between operating systems. When one computing system has over 200 thousand versions of malware and another has zero, wouldn't it be wise to ask why?

If the two were equally vulnerable then their attacks would be in proportion to their market share. If the company with over 200 thousand versions of malware is 90 precent of the market, then you would expect that a company which has 10% of the market to have 20 thousand versions. But, not so. Apple has none. Hence, there must be some reason for that disparity.

If the reason is "Security by Obscurity" then fine. That sounds like an excellent reason to switch to Apple. But, it doesn't seem to matter how much Apple's market share grows; its malware remains zero.

So, there may be fundamental differences in Windows and Mac OSX which explain the difference. And you are ignoring that difference and minimizing it. Thus you are protecting Microsoft Windows from criticism.

The only solution to Windows is to stop using it.
Jump to:
If my employer requires me to return to the company's office full-time to perform my job, I will...
Agree, because I like my job regardless of where I perform my duties.
Comply, because I can't afford to lose my current job.
Go with the flow, but start looking for different employment.
Resign immediately, so I can dedicate all of my time to find a job that better suits my needs.
Try to negotiate a hybrid work from home / work in office arrangement with my employer.