Get the ECT News Network Weekly Newsletter » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

MacNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   MacNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: iPhone vs. Windows Phone: It's in the Way That You Use It

Re: iPhone vs. Windows Phone: It's in the Way That You Use It
Posted by: Chris Maxcer 2009-04-14 05:16:21
See Full Story

When an iPhone fan picks up a Windows phone, his or her first impression may go something like this: "It's difficult to find various features, it's kind of ugly, the hardware doesn't quite match the software, and it's generally user-unfriendly." Vice-versa, when a die-hard Windows Mobile user picks up an iPhone, he or she might think, "This is a locked-up, inflexible platform designed mainly to get you to buy more stuff from Apple, like movies, music and apps."

Are there any die-hard Windows Mobile fans, anyway?
Posted by: psiclone 2009-04-14 11:13:46 In reply to: Chris Maxcer
Having worked in the IT industry professionally for over 10 years and battling against the Windows and DOS for about 30 years, I find it hard to believe there are any die-hard Windows Mobile fans out there. I haven't come across anyone that didn't have trouble getting their Windows Mobile device to sync (not to mention other issues), at one point or another. I was constantly having to fix problems related to those types of devices.

I can't speak for the iPhone, but all-in-all, I hear people talking about it as the next best thing. I got so tired of fighting with my computer over the years to get it to simply open an application, to boot it up without a hitch every time, to get Microsoft's own applications to work with its own OSs, etc., that I simply bought an Apple Macbook Pro over a year ago. I haven't looked back since. It's so relaxing to simply pull up to the keyboard and start working. I have an amazing amount of time more than I used to.

I would argue that Apple definitely has its place in the enterprise world, but it takes a gutsy leader in IT, and management who are willing to throw a little money at it. It's a worthwhile investment. Custom apps? Just take a look at the number of apps in the app store for the iPhone or iPod Touch. Yes, I admit there are quite a few that are rather dopey and debatably useful.

So, back to the time I freed up by buying an Apple. I truly now have freedom of movement and increased productivity. If you're not investing in that as a business, what in the world are you focused on?

You're wrong. Here's why.
Posted by: hembreeder 2009-04-14 07:52:10 In reply to: Chris Maxcer
I almost quit reading when I got to this sentence. It is wrong, wrong, wrong:

"when a die-hard Windows Mobile user picks up an iPhone, he or she might think, 'This is a locked-up, inflexible platform designed mainly to get you to buy more stuff from Apple (Nasdaq: AAPL) , like movies, music and apps.' "

Most folks know that Apple sells music, apps and movies at cost to enhance the value of their hardware, which is where they make their money.

If you didn't know that, you should not be writing about Apple. If you did know that, you should point out that any Windows Me user who thinks that is mistaken.
Jump to:
Which COVID-19 vaccine would you prefer to receive if offered to you today?
Johnson & Johnson
Moderna
Pfizer-BioNTech
I'll take any COVID-19 vaccine that is made available to me right now.
I'm not sure. I need more time to make an educated decision.
I'm not interested in getting a COVID-19 vaccine at this time.