Get the ECT News Network Editor's Pick Newsletter » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

MacNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   MacNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Putting Apple Displays Under the Microscope

Re: Putting Apple Displays Under the Microscope
Posted by: Chris Maxcer 2009-03-31 04:50:18
See Full Story

Apple gets a lot of criticism for the seemingly high retail prices of its Macs. While the PC and Mac pundits alike can spec out competing solutions and argue over value in terms of software and operating systems, what about displays? Computer monitors don't ship with an operating system and free productivity software -- displays are about as pure a hardware play as you can get these days. So who's buying Apple displays, and why would someone buy an pricey Apple display, anyway?

Type of panel biggest influence on cost
Posted by: Brian_M 2009-03-31 09:31:38 In reply to: Chris Maxcer
you hit at it in the 30" part of the article about the IPS, PVA (and the cheapest type being TN)

Apple uses IPS (highest cost type of LCD panel) in its 24", 30" displays, and in the 24" iMacs. The laptops and 20" iMacs use TN panels.

IPS has great viewing angles, and tend to have a higher quality display, but response time tends to be slower. Even from nearly side on (180degree) the screen image will change very little.

TN are the cheapest, and have fast response times so tend to be used for gaming, but if you look from below or above, you notice colour/contrast shifts,with PVA being in the middle somewhere.
Jump to:
Which COVID-19 vaccine would you prefer to receive if offered to you today?
Johnson & Johnson
Moderna
Pfizer-BioNTech
I'll take any COVID-19 vaccine that is made available to me right now.
I'm not sure. I need more time to make an educated decision.
I'm not interested in getting a COVID-19 vaccine at this time.