Explore Newsletters from ECT News Network » View Samples | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Ideoclick eBook
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

MacNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   MacNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Spy Tracking Device: There They Are, but Why Did I Give Them My Phone?

See Full Story

Let's start out by getting one thing straight: I have no desire or need to covertly track anyone. I'm not a stalker, secret agent, snoop, mole, private eye, suspicious husband, creep or Jack Bauer wannabe. But any time I see an iPhone app that offers to turn my phone into some kind of James Bond gear, curiosity compels me to try it out. A search for "spy" in the App Store yielded an application called "Spy Tracking Device" from Scoutic. Basically, it turns your iPhone into a tracker that reports its movements to Google Maps.

evil valet
Posted by: Nottatuma 2009-04-07 09:42:01 In reply to: Paul Hartsock
i am looking for a device to track my car while i am at a conference later this year. the hotel only has valet parking. i want to make sure my car only moves when i want it to (think ferris bueller's day off!) i don't want to invest in a full time tracking device so i could live without my iphone (!) for a couple days. if i can find a way to power it for that long with the app running.
it's a 2008 Mustang Bullitt by the way... very tempting for some young punk valet. and the parking isn't even at the hotel, it's offsite.
maybe i will just rent a camry or something :)

Old tech stuff
Posted by: drpalmer 2009-03-12 14:32:00 In reply to: Paul Hartsock
This is not anything new. Since GPS was added to all phones last year, its easy and available to do.
I can and do use Sprint Family Locator to locate any of my 4 phones that I pay for. Cost $5 a month. And yea, it uses Google Maps.
Jump to: