Get the E-Commerce Minute Newsletter from the E-Commerce Times » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

MacNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   MacNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: ShapeWriter for iPhone: Do You Want to Relearn How to Type?

Re: ShapeWriter for iPhone: Do You Want to Relearn How to Type?
Posted by: Paul Hartsock 2009-01-24 08:29:57
See Full Story

There's something that irritates me about software that I've barely met acting like it knows me, knows what I'm thinking, knows what I'm about to do. That's why the first thing I do on any new phone is shut off T9 predictive text, that thing that tries to guess what I'm trying to type based on somebody's idea of commonly used words. Almost as bad is the iPhone's autocorrect feature -- yeah, I typed "mome" and I meant "mome," not "mime," is that OK with you? But with my fat fingers, I've been learning to live with it.

Well, I find it full of awesome.
Posted by: WereBear 2009-03-08 19:25:40 In reply to: Paul Hartsock
One of the reasons I carry a handheld is because I'm a writer, and never know when the Muse will strike. It's great to know that no matter where I am, I can peck out some notes or rough draft a blog post.

Just recently I swapped my worn out Palm Pilot for an iPod touch. It was a big upgrade in every way but one; that durn keyboard. Now I didn't have a stylus, or even a clipboard! I was resigned.

But Shapewriter is just about miraculous. I can write on it. I mean that. In less than a day I was whipping along, even faster than on one of those little Blackberry keyboards. And it has a clipboard! It means I can edit, too! And it lets me go long form; many of the apps I tried (even paid for) would crash or lop off my painfully pecked notes. But not Shapewriter.

I can understand some people might not like it. But some people will love it.

If you want to *write* on your Mac handheld, Santa has arrived.

Preferences, Preferences
Posted by: apercu 2009-01-24 08:43:16 In reply to: Paul Hartsock
Re:{ even the paid version -- insists on inserting the note "Composed with ShapeWriter -- www.shapewriter.com" at the bottom of every single missive you type out}.

This "feature" can be turned off in ShapeWriter's preference panel. Just as the auto correct feature can be turned off in the iPhone's keyboard preferences. Devil is in the details so they say. Assuming one pays attention.

BTW, I find ShapeWriter to be a very intuitive app that allows me to compose notes and e-mails much quicker than the standard keypad. And I can type in URLs with the period and NO spaces with no problem. You should have taken a few more minutes to actually learn the app before critiquing it.

apercu
Jump to:
If my employer requires me to return to the company's office full-time to perform my job, I will...
Agree, because I like my job regardless of where I perform my duties.
Comply, because I can't afford to lose my current job.
Go with the flow, but start looking for different employment.
Resign immediately, so I can dedicate all of my time to find a job that better suits my needs.
Try to negotiate a hybrid work from home / work in office arrangement with my employer.