ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

MacNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   MacNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Safari vs. .Gov

Re: Safari vs. .Gov
Posted by: Chris Maxcer 2008-04-28 07:26:05
See Full Story

There's a scenario that most every Apple aficionado has run into: A Web site that, when visited via Apple's Safari Web browser, just doesn't work. If it's just a handy site, failure is irritating. When it's an important site, perhaps even a critical federally managed site, a Safari failure can incite real anger, especially when the error report indicates the site is "optimized" for Microsoft Internet Explorer. Shouldn't government sites be open to all browsers? Aren't sites supposed to be built on basic Web standards?

Govt Websites
Posted by: macg5guy 2008-04-28 07:35:26 In reply to: Chris Maxcer
I actually work for the state of Ohio and can tell you that the new Medicaid system being implemented by their vendor EDS is accessible only with Windows and Internet Explorer 6.x. The funny thing is that the state's RFP indicated they wanted a system that was browser agnostic.
EDS replied that, yes, their system is accessible with any browser that uses Active X controls. Well, the only browser that meets that criteria is IE for Windows. Somehow, they still got the bid. I have raised many red flags over this, only to be either ignored or told that "EDS assures us it isn't a big deal" They've done the same system for Oklahoma, Kentucky, Texas and Florida to name a few.
So, when a citizen or provider wishes to access the new Ohio Medicaid system, they better have Windows and IE6. Stupid government thinking.
Jump to:
If my employer requires me to return to the company's office full-time to perform my job, I will...
Agree, because I like my job regardless of where I perform my duties.
Comply, because I can't afford to lose my current job.
Go with the flow, but start looking for different employment.
Resign immediately, so I can dedicate all of my time to find a job that better suits my needs.
Try to negotiate a hybrid work from home / work in office arrangement with my employer.