Get the E-Commerce Minute Newsletter from the E-Commerce Times » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

MacNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   MacNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: The Pusher of Cupertino

Re: The Pusher of Cupertino
Posted by: James Daley 2008-04-06 05:36:09
See Full Story

After two years of stellar service, my beloved iPod suddenly started giving me gip last week -- crashing three times in an afternoon. Although I managed to restart it each time, I couldn't understand why it should suddenly start malfunctioning now -- after all, I've only had it for two years, and I've been careful to look after it. My partner, however, was not remotely surprised. My problems, she said, were yet further evidence in support of her conspiracy theory that Apple deliberately tries to destroy its older iPod models, by designing software updates that make them malfunction.

Posted by: just4kicks 2008-04-07 10:02:58 In reply to: James Daley
I had a similar experience. I purchased an 80GB video iPod with a one year warranty in Nov 2006 from Apple.com. In Nov 2007, literally a couple of days after the one year anniversary of the purchase it suddenly shut down and became completely inoperable. A sympathetic Apple Retail Store employee exchanged the defective iPod for a new one a few days after the warranty had expired. The Apple Retail Store employee saved Apple a couple of customers. From past experience, I question whether a phone rep at Apple.com would have done the same.

Posted by: ryanrit 2008-04-07 05:44:12 In reply to: James Daley
Ridiculous. My full thoughts are here:
http://www.thedigitallifestyle.tv/2008/04/ipods-designed-to-fail-old-rumor.html

Posted by: zato 2008-04-06 22:30:27 In reply to: James Daley
It's about time this Microsoft controlled Black PR phoney Mac site was sued out of existence. "The Pusher of Cupertino" - to whoever wrote this head,- you are a sick a hole.

Posted by: cam6280 2008-04-06 18:49:02 In reply to: James Daley
I've been using my 4GB iPod Nano since the end of 2005, and it still works really well. This includes being used in a very hot and dusty desert environment with temperatures frequently over 100F.
I don't particularly treat it like fine china either.

Posted by: mathue 2008-04-06 18:30:44 In reply to: James Daley
We have nearly (no shuffles, iPhone or Touch) every iPod back to the first gen iPod (Nov 2001), it still goes strong with a new battery installed about 8 months ago. I have a neighbor who seemingly goes through them like water. He treats them terribly though, tossing them in his trunk, dropping them on his concrete driveway. Everyone I know who burns through them tends to also burn through cell phones, ear pieces, shavers, clock radios. Its sheer paranoia to think that they get deliberately disabled, especially if there's no technical proof to back it up.

Posted by: mrbach 2008-04-06 14:41:23 In reply to: James Daley
I bought my first iPod (3G) in January of 2004. It goes in the car, its been all over North America, Turkey, Cuba. I keep it synched and updated and its on its third battery. No problems here. Maybe you are doing it wrong.

Posted by: gkent 2008-04-06 11:12:08 In reply to: James Daley
Somewhat irresponsible journalism(?) to say the least. As others have stated burning cds is easy. Regarding the conspiracy theory I would say your speculation lacks evidence and should not be spread. When someone is given the opportunity to publish opinions he/she should feel the need to write with integrity, and have an honest factual basis for opinions. Clearly that seems missing here. To the editors of this site, "Crap should only be spread in the garden"

Posted by: hembreeder 2008-04-06 10:56:57 In reply to: James Daley
I've had five iPods, starting with the first one. All still work. Battery life is a little short on the oldest ones, but no batteries have had to be replaced.
Assuming your conspiracy theory is correct, I suspect Apple has a conspiracy against you, personally, but not other users, such as me.

Posted by: dMacGuy 2008-04-06 10:45:26 In reply to: James Daley
What complete rubbish! I started with the 1st generation iPod and have bought every generation since then. Each time I get the new one I pass my old one to one of my teenage grandkids (who use them A LOT). We have NEVER had a problem with ANY of them. This story smells like a plant from a competitor.

Posted by: jimstead 2008-04-06 09:04:53 In reply to: James Daley
This is silly talk. As a grown up and an American you get to choose whether to buy a product. If it's a good value and you want to have it, buy it. If not, don't. Talk about addiction is juvenile, and loose accusations about purposeful destruction of property is unethical unless you have clear evidence.
Jim

Posted by: Eliakim 2008-04-06 08:38:24 In reply to: James Daley
I don't know where you got the information that albums or songs can't be copied onto CDs (from the iTunes Music Store). They certainly can and I've done it plenty of times. You must be not reading the proper information and/or are simply ignorant about how to do it. The bad thing (here in this article) is that you are passing on your ignorance to other readers (who may not know that you're simply writing from your ignorance and not from any knowledge). That's the trouble I see with a lot of complainers about certain Apple and/or Mac products -- ignorance, plain and simple -- and then spreading the ignorance.

Posted by: Ratty 2008-04-06 08:29:20 In reply to: James Daley
Spectacularly wrong article on all counts. It just seems to show that James Daley doesn't know what he is talking about.
So James, to write and Audio CD in iTunes, create a play list and press burn. Take that CD and play it in your car, on a friends CD player or anywhere you like. A case of shooting off an article without a clue. Please publish an apology immediately - The Independent Magazine appears to have pulled the original article. Perhaps the Fudmasters here can do the same.

Posted by: couchguy 2008-04-06 08:03:16 In reply to: James Daley
The author says "there is a growing body of evidence" that iPod software updates have something to do with the failure of iPods to function after a couple of years. That's a bold statement, demanding that evidence be offered. None is given here. If you have none, please refrain from such a foolish off-handed statement. Personally, I have two older iPods that have been updated every time a firmware upgrade was offered. Both function perfectly. What Divine providence protects them from falling victim to the same fate, do you think?

Posted by: alaingauthier 2008-04-06 07:35:15 In reply to: James Daley
I have four iPods 1st generation 2nd generation and an ishuffle and the new touch. Your theory doesn't make sense because i haven't had a problem with any of them. I did have a problem with an iBook and after reviewing the support site i saw they had a recall on the logic board which apple replaced three times but they took care of the problem . This Ibook is also working fine 6 years later. I think people come out with the most amazing theories about stuff sometimes but this one is plainly silly. Besides if Apple is a pusher maybe you should stop using all together that would make you less paranoid ...

Posted by: auramac 2008-04-06 11:42:19 In reply to: alaingauthier
As an Apple/Mac support consultant, I find the author's claims and conclusions bogus and simply sensationalism, and I agree with those who generally have had little or no problems from 1st generation on at this point.

Posted by: hardmanb 2008-04-06 20:58:19 In reply to: auramac
I have an iPod, and have bought or passed on my older models to my daughter and two nieces...no problems.
Also, no problems burning CDs for my car's changer. Maybe you could get someone to show you how.
Jump to:
If my employer requires me to return to the company's office full-time to perform my job, I will...
Agree, because I like my job regardless of where I perform my duties.
Comply, because I can't afford to lose my current job.
Go with the flow, but start looking for different employment.
Resign immediately, so I can dedicate all of my time to find a job that better suits my needs.
Try to negotiate a hybrid work from home / work in office arrangement with my employer.