Explore Newsletters from ECT News Network » View Samples | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Digital River - Talk to the Experts
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

MacNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   MacNewsWorld Talkback   »   RE: Apple and Security: Pride Cometh Before the Fall

RE: Apple and Security: Pride Cometh Before the Fall
Posted by: Windinthedust 2008-03-23 11:28:53
This could have been a great article, if the author, Roger Kay, could have sited real facts about security. The market share theory to security has been touted for years, and always proven false. If Roger Kay could have cited one in the wild virus, then it would have been interesting... instead, it is "cut & paste" tripe that you can find on google over and over again for the past decade. Highlighting your strengths is not "hubris", but rather smart advertising. The technology differences and cultures between M$ and Apple are not even close... the fact that Roger Kay doesn't acknowledge this, but rather puts it all in the same "security basket" belies either ignorance, laziness to actually research an article, or an "agenda". I won't assume the worse, but c'mon! Apple deserves criticism and scrutiny like any other company, my point isn't to defend Apple, but I'm tired of these articles based on no factual evidence! Security is one thing that can be measured with empirical data and facts... anecdotal evidence doesn't cut it, as it can be manufactured and misconstrued. Moving on: where are the "reports of Mac viruses ... rising steadily"? Please cite them! I want to know so I can protect myself! Doing my own research (since Roger Kay didn't) I can't find ANY viruses for the Mac in the wild. I can't find anyone that has even had virus on their Mac. Now that would be an interesting News Story! Interview all those poor Mac users that have gotten a Mac computer virus... nope, not one. Now, someday, some one will probably create a virus for the Mac... at that time, it will be announced and quashed, just like PC viruses are. This will be a rare event, however... why? Because Mac OSX is open source UNIX. Keeping portions of the OS open source guarantees a good security workout, exposing security flaws before they get out in the wild. This is unlike M$, which is closed... flaws are not revealed by an open source community... and they do not get to address flaws and viruses until they actually are in the wild. This article could have been renamed: "Security flaws pointed out early by open source, gives Apple the security advantage" That's the truth which Roger Kay would like to spin into a negative thing, when it's actually good. Next, hubris would actually dictate that Apple be closed like M$... we don't need an open source communities help! The fact that Apple uses open source, is not hubris, but humility. Additionally, Mac OSX, is, and has been widely distributed... a back bone of servers and the internet... can you say UNIX! Yes, hackers & malware distributors have had plenty of opportunity and motive to hack these very integral systems we call UNIX. The fact is, UNIX is stable, hardened, and secure. How about Linux? Same thing, stable, hardened, and secure. By highlighting the security differences between Windows and OSX, Apple is actually doing a public service... yes, there is a secure alternative to the drug & gang infested ghetto neighborhood we call Windows. This actually will help PC users, as M$ now has a competitive reason to button up their ship and plug the leaks. Next, the iPhone is "hacked"... big deal. Being "hacked", in the way the iPhone currently is being "unlocked", is way different then a security breach. Anything and everything can be "hacked" and is "hacked" every day. My truck is "hacked" as I add my own power modules and modify the transmission, engine, and suspension. PC's are "hacked", as people build their own, and load various OS's on them. Being "hacked" is a very broad term and may or may not really apply to security breaches and may or may not relate to bad or good intentions. It's interesting to note, that most security breaches do not involve physical "hacks"... but rather the theft of user information and passwords. Additionally, "hacks" are not the means to which malware is distributed, no malware is distributed through open holes in the OS. This can be likened to a home where all the doors are locked, but the windows are all left open... no "hacking" needed. Last, most "hackers", in the case of the iPhone, are actually "hacking" their own equipment and software for their own use. This does not affect consumers at all. Apple has no reason to discourage this "hacker" community as it does not represent a security breach to consumers... as noted by Peter Oppenheimer, Apple's CFO, Apple views the sale of unlocked iPhones as a good thing. These iPhone "hackers" can be likened to anyone that wants buy, then soup up there own sports car... completely legal (it's mine), something fun, something to show off... how exactly is that bad for Apple? It just so happens, they have a "sports phone" worthy of high powered upgrades!
Jump to:
If my employer requires me to return to the company's office full-time to perform my job, I will...
Agree, because I like my job regardless of where I perform my duties.
Comply, because I can't afford to lose my current job.
Go with the flow, but start looking for different employment.
Resign immediately, so I can dedicate all of my time to find a job that better suits my needs.
Try to negotiate a hybrid work from home / work in office arrangement with my employer.