Get the E-Commerce Minute Newsletter from the E-Commerce Times » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

MacNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   MacNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: What Can .Mac Do for You?

Re: What Can .Mac Do for You?
Posted by: Chris Maxcer 2008-03-06 07:51:38
See Full Story

Apple's multi-facted .Mac service is a conundrum, a riddle in and of itself. What is .Mac, exactly? What can it do for me? Is it worth it? The problem is that .Mac is more than one thing -- it's e-mail, photo and video sharing, Web site hosting, backup, and a synchronization tool all in one. .Mac is a suite of Internet Web services where the sum of its parts creates a value far greater than any individual piece. Yet, most of the features found in .Mac can also be found for free on other sites, and while not all of the features have direct one-to-one comparisons, they're still free.

Posted by: wordm 2008-03-06 11:34:43 In reply to: Chris Maxcer
And if you like dealing with bad tech support and a ton of spam in your email a day, go ahead and waste the $100 a year. It's not worth it, period.

Posted by: Neil2112 2008-03-26 20:11:37 In reply to: wordm
I use .Mac every single day. Good support, no spam. It has been worth every penny. Are you saying $8 per month is excessive?
I use it for an iWeb website, iPhoto galleries, Sync, Email. . . . .

Posted by: profolio 2008-03-06 10:18:03 In reply to: Chris Maxcer
I've been a .Mac user since its inception. I've been growingly frustrated with mostly its lack of speed (it can slow my twin cpu G5 with 6.5g of ram to a crawl) and support as compared to other comparable free services to the point where I use it solely to back up text based files. I fear that .Mac development has been set adrift and a lot of long time SOHO users such as myself will no doubt jump ship. As a footnote, Apple charged me 150 cdn for a service that costs 99 us when the Canadian dollar was surpassing the American dollar.

Posted by: Neil2112 2008-03-26 20:05:46 In reply to: profolio
Why is it every time I read anything from a Canadian they're whining?
Jump to:
If my employer requires me to return to the company's office full-time to perform my job, I will...
Agree, because I like my job regardless of where I perform my duties.
Comply, because I can't afford to lose my current job.
Go with the flow, but start looking for different employment.
Resign immediately, so I can dedicate all of my time to find a job that better suits my needs.
Try to negotiate a hybrid work from home / work in office arrangement with my employer.