Explore Newsletters from ECT News Network » View Samples | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Digital River - Talk to the Experts
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

MacNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   MacNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: The Mac Gaming Renaissance, Part 2

Re: The Mac Gaming Renaissance, Part 2
Posted by: Walaika Haskins 2008-02-10 08:12:37
See Full Story

Game developers are slowly warming to the idea of producing more games for the Mac platform. Presently, it's possible to find a handful of famous titles from top-tier game makers. However, if you're looking for intense, graphics-heavy games -- the type of games best played on top-of-the-line machines -- you're mostly out of luck. Gaming's slower growth on the Mac platform has been largely a matter of market share, as is discussed in Part 1 of this series. However, will more users be enough to make the Mac a true gaming platform?

Re: The Mac Gaming Renaissance, Part 2
Posted by: Android8675 2008-02-11 08:30:43 In reply to: Walaika Haskins
[quote]...[mac users] playing Windows-based games with systems running BootCamp and virtualization software like Parallels should think again. Those machines also fall short of standard gaming demands, Peddie added.[/quote]
Actually this isn't completely true. While running Windows on TOP of OS X via a "virtualization" program like Parallels or VMWare Fusion severely limits your 3D graphics abilities (Virtual Emulators can't directly access hardware, so they have to emulate support for video/sound, and currently these programs do not emulate video/audio very well), if you run Windows via Apple BootCamp, you actually run the Windows OS directly on normal Intel x64 hardware with direct access to the sound and video card of the system. The results is you can run 3D apps including "most" FPS with little to no difference than if you played on a comparable PC system.
Granted it still sucks that the consumer level Mac is the iMac, which is not upgradeable at all, but the new Intel iMacs are no slouches when it comes to price vs. performance. I think most independent comparisons find an if you match an iMac with an "Apples for Apples" Dell, the Mac actually costs less.
Hey, guess what, I'm not really into Macs, and I don't own one, nor do I want too. I'm just saying If you need to run Windows Games on a Mac, it does it better than this article lets on. Lets also not forget World of Warcraft with it's 10 Million+ subscribers runs natively on Mac OS X. (But that game will run on a toaster for gosh sakes)
Jump to:
Which best describes what you think about requiring Covid-19 "vaccine passports?"
It will prompt more people to take the vaccine to help end the virus.
It will lessen restrictions and provide more freedom for individuals.
It is a violation of privacy and civil liberties.
It will lead to stigma and discrimination.
It will encourage counterfeits and other criminal activities.