Get the ECT News Network Editor's Pick Newsletter » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

MacNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   MacNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Apple's War on Customers

Re: Apple's War on Customers
Posted by: Michael Finneran 2007-11-28 05:56:20
See Full Story

Cell phone carriers have created an impenetrable mess with a business model built on subsidizing mediocre handsets to lock in customers on long-term service contracts. I had no idea the situation could become so weird so fast. As I noted previously, the introduction of Apple's iPhone was a significant development. The iPhone is a major leap forward in the pizzazz department, and even if it didn't include a state-of-the-art HSDPA cellular data interface, consumers love glitz.

Get real
Posted by: MacAdam 2007-11-29 07:04:17 In reply to: Michael Finneran
The iPhone represents new technology, not just something pretty. Visual voicemail is but one example. The technology behind visual voicemail uses EDGE data transfer to couple to your voicemail in order to make that selctivity work. I imagine that there was an upgrade needed by the carrier to make that possible, and trust me it works terrifically. This may be why AT&T is the exclusive carrier, perhaps they were willing to update a network at an expense level others would not tolerate. Here endeth the speculation.
The fact is that Apple very publicly stated from the beginning that the iPhone would REQUIRE a 2 year contract with AT&T. Again, this was a publicly known requirement MONTHS before the phone went on sale. If you bought the phone with the intention of skirting the operating requirements, well you get what you deserve. I worked for Apple in a support capacity when the iPhone went on sale and when the 1.1.1 update came out. I am no longer an Apple employee. I am confident as a former support provider and as an iPhone owner that the changes made by that update were necessary and that the bricking may have been predictable, but that fact does not make it malicious. I don't expect VW to service my Rabbit after I replace the engine chip with something after market to increase performance. Likewise I don't expect Apple to support my Mac or my iPod or my iPhone if I intentionally modify them to work outside of the well-published requirements. If I want to circumvent the design of a product (and I do void my warranties form time to time) I take the responsibility for my actions.
Wake up America, take responsibility for what you do. If you are told that something is required to make a product function and you remove that something, lack of function is YOUR fault.

Posted by: jbelkin 2007-11-28 13:58:53 In reply to: Michael Finneran
For 99% of customers, we bought a phone that's easy to use - yes, it looks nice but mostly we bought it because it was easy to use, syncs and backups and offers personal support at 200 stores ... some people want to hack it - that's fine but is it really Apple's responsibility to make sure the phone works AFTER you hack it software or hardware wise? Can you put a Lexus transmission in a BMW? Maybe you can but but you're ON YOUR OWN ... yes, it's yours but if you want to upgrade it, maybe it will stop working - how hard is that to understand ... besides, if you want to hack, why would you even bother to try and upgrade it ESPECIALLY after Apple told you it might result in a non functioning phone? The phone jail breakers are mostly idiots, to add icons for weather as one guy did...did he bother to look up two rows of icons...or the guy who wanted to add a photo of nude women behind the buttons or worse design his own buttons...again, great - just don't think it's our responsibility.

Posted by: skeese 2007-11-28 10:42:00 In reply to: Michael Finneran
I buy Apple products precisely because there is someone in charge and responsible for them. I don't own a tv or an iPod or video games. I use the iPhone for business. It is not a toy for me. I understand but have no sympathy for hackers who broke the rules and got their fingers burned or their whining fans. Apparently somebody agrees with me. I would not want him as a friend, but Jobs is a winner. The pundits are bit players in comparison. I trust his products, not theirs.
Jump to:
Which best describes what you think about requiring Covid-19 "vaccine passports?"
It will prompt more people to take the vaccine to help end the virus.
It will lessen restrictions and provide more freedom for individuals.
It is a violation of privacy and civil liberties.
It will lead to stigma and discrimination.
It will encourage counterfeits and other criminal activities.