Get the ECT News Network Weekly Newsletter » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

MacNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   MacNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Paradise Lost: Life After a Stolen iPod

Re: Paradise Lost: Life After a Stolen iPod
Posted by: Richard Godwin 2007-11-16 15:59:17
See Full Story

Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone! My iPod has been stolen and I must turn to W.H. Auden's dreadful elegy to express my woe. My black, 30 GB, fifth-generation videopod -- my north, my south, my east, my west -- went missing last Wednesday and I am bereft.I have been through all the phases: denial, anger, depression. Last week's launch of the new iPhone in the UK could not have been more cruel in its timing. All those gleeful consumers emerging from the Apple store holding their expensive trophies aloft if they only knew what a fragile, ephemeral thing they have in their hands!

Re: Paradise Lost: Life After a Stolen iPod
Posted by: kwestin12 2007-11-16 16:02:37 In reply to: Richard Godwin
There is a solution to iPod theft. It is called GadgetTrak ( http://www.gadgettrak.com ), it is like LoJack for your iPod.
You install the GadgetTrak agent files on your iPod. When you access the storage partition it triggers the agent software to communicate with their server. If the device is stolen it gathers information pertaining to the connection including username, computer name, internal network address, public IP address, location and more.
GadgetTrak has recovered 5 of the 6 devices reported stolen to them in the past few months. Three of these recovered devices were iPods.
Jump to:
If my employer requires me to return to the company's office full-time to perform my job, I will...
Agree, because I like my job regardless of where I perform my duties.
Comply, because I can't afford to lose my current job.
Go with the flow, but start looking for different employment.
Resign immediately, so I can dedicate all of my time to find a job that better suits my needs.
Try to negotiate a hybrid work from home / work in office arrangement with my employer.