Explore Newsletters from ECT News Network » View Samples | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

MacNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   MacNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Apple's Claim to 'Pod' Rights Questionable

Re: Apple's Claim to 'Pod' Rights Questionable
Posted by: Erika Morphy 2006-09-27 19:12:11
See Full Story

Apple Computer has become increasingly territorial over use of the word "pod" and its association with other companies' products or services. It has filed an application with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office to obtain trademark rights for "pod" independent of its use in connection with "iPod," the firm's popular portable music device. As it waits for a ruling, Apple has been peppering the corporate landscape in both the United States and United Kingdom with cease-and-desist letters directed toward companies it believes to be unfairly using the word.

Apple doesn't mind that companies use the term Podcast...
Posted by: Dopi 2006-09-27 20:00:19 In reply to: Erika Morphy
How about reading this C&D letter instead of relying on headlines from other news sources?
The letter clearly states that Apple doesn't mind that companies use the word Podcast. In that particular case ("Podcast Ready") they are only looking after one of their product, called "myPodder" which has a part that is phonetically similar to iPod.
Apple may be a little too rough about "myPodder", but they're not stupid enough to forbid the use of the term Podcast...
Jump to:
If my employer requires me to return to the company's office full-time to perform my job, I will...
Agree, because I like my job regardless of where I perform my duties.
Comply, because I can't afford to lose my current job.
Go with the flow, but start looking for different employment.
Resign immediately, so I can dedicate all of my time to find a job that better suits my needs.
Try to negotiate a hybrid work from home / work in office arrangement with my employer.