Get the ECT News Network Editor's Pick Newsletter » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

MacNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   MacNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Apple Slams Door on Intel Version of OS X

Re: Apple Slams Door on Intel Version of OS X
Posted by: Tom Yager 2006-06-27 07:10:27
See Full Story

Thanks to pirates, or rather the fear of them, the Intel edition of Apple's OS X is now a proprietary operating system. Mac developers and power users no longer have the freedom to alter, rebuild and replace the OS X kernel from source code. Stripped of openness, it no longer possesses the quality that elevated Linux to its status as the second most popular commercial OS. The Darwin open source Mach/Unix core shared by OS X Tiger client and OS X Tiger Server remains completely open for PowerPC Macs.

Posted by: reboylin 2006-06-27 10:16:10 In reply to: Tom Yager
I suspect that Apple's license of the code used for Rosetta precludes their abiity to open source the kernel. Of course their lawyers are already busy enough without going after pirates.

Posted by: SubPop 2006-06-27 09:27:37 In reply to: Tom Yager
Stripped of openness, it no longer possesses the quality that elevated Linux to its status as the second most popular commercial OS.
I'm confused here.. Which flavour of Linux are you referring to as commercial, and which are you referring to as the 2nd most popular OS? If you're talking about "Linux" as in all Linux's put together, then you'll have to lump that in with all variants of other UNIXs put together, too.. Which puts Linux at a distant third behind the various flavours of BSD, of which Mac OS X makes up the majority share..
Stripped of its openness, Mac OS X HAS accomplished something in three years what Linux hasn't been able to do in over ten - make a variant of UNIX usable to the masses.. The open source community is squarely to blame for that.. Ten programmers, armed with a project manager, a plan, and a direction, will always accomplish more than a thousand un-qualified, directionless programmers working to customize the OS for their own personal gain..
Why else would I have to drop to a command-line simply to install Flash Player on my computer?
Jump to:
Which best describes what you think about requiring Covid-19 "vaccine passports?"
It will prompt more people to take the vaccine to help end the virus.
It will lessen restrictions and provide more freedom for individuals.
It is a violation of privacy and civil liberties.
It will lead to stigma and discrimination.
It will encourage counterfeits and other criminal activities.