Explore Newsletters from ECT News Network » View Samples | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

MacNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   MacNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Has Apple Embraced the Dark Side?

Re: Has Apple Embraced the Dark Side?
Posted by: Rob Waugh 2006-04-26 14:05:21
See Full Story

An Apple Mac running Microsoft's Windows XP is a bit like Luke Skywalker sitting down to tea with Darth Vader. Each system has its loyal fans and they rarely see eye to eye.
Mac aficionado actor Stephen Fry recently voiced what many think of its rival: "God rot Windows and all its ugly, clunky, badly designed horror." Now, though, Apple has just released Boot Camp, a free download for its newest Macs, which lets you install Windows XP and run Windows software without disturbing your existing Mac OS X Tiger operating system, applications or files.

Posted by: theOtter 2006-05-04 09:50:49 In reply to: Rob Waugh
“Macs are pricey [and] there's not enough software for them.”
Let’s deal with each of these. About 2½ years ago, I worked for an all–Dell-based company. The incumbent president’s father had previously run an all–Mac-based shop, but when the son (himself an accountant, by trade) took the reigns, he slowly phased them out. As such, I knew it was an uphill battle when I wanted to replace my 1.7GHz P4–based Dell with a brand new, dual-processor G5.
Thankfully, the president had some plans for the company that I hadn’t been privy to and actually called me directly, to ask if I could fulfill that vision, if I had a faster computer. I responded in the affirmative, and he asked me to put together a cost/benefit proposal for the new G5, a refurbished G4, and a comparable Dell.
I won’t go into all the details here—feel free to e-mail me, if you want them—but the bottom line is that I got the G5. Why? Well, it’s pretty simple: the Power Mac G5 was over $2,200 LESS than a similarly configured Dell.
The bottom line is that a Mac is only “pricey” if you’re used to buying a $499 computer that comes with barely enough RAM to boot and an OS whose own manufacturer recommends you upgrade. If you want a computer that actually works, right out of the box, Apples are almost always the better—and less expensive—choice.
2) “There's not enough software for them”: what software, pray tell, would you like, that isn’t available? While anyone must concede that there are more video games for Ms Windows than for Mac OS, the fact of the matter remains that I can’t think of a single other piece of software that anyone would need, that doesn’t exist for Mac OS.
Ninety-nine times out of a hundred, this argument is based on the fact that there are 50 different (insert type of application here) available for Ms Windows and only 10 for Mac OS. What this kind of logic fails to take into account is that very few people actually NEED more than one of the same type of program—for example, what is the average person going to do with 50 different word processors?
Furthermore, since Mac users invariably have MUCH higher standards for their software, the Ms Windows users are left to choose between 45 horrible word processors and five halfway decent ones, while the Mac users choose fairly confidently between the nine great word processors and the one that will either improve or disappear.
Finally, just a little note about Microsoft having “97% of the market.” While that may be true, with respect to actual computer SALES, it’s far from correct, when it comes to the number of computers actually IN USE. Estimates of the number of Macs out there in the wild range anywhere from 2% (a ridiculous suggestion) to 30% (also pretty out there). The real number is probably somewhere in between, probably around 13-15% of computers in use. (Remember that Macs have a significantly longer lifespan than comparable other PCs, so the average Wintel user will have 2-4 different computers—the old ones being repeatedly relegated to the dumpster—during the lifetime of a single Mac.)
The bottom line is that, while Boot Camp is an obvious departure from Apple’s traditional way of doing things, to indicate that it signals their death knell is nothing short of asinine. I don’t know who first coined this phrase, but it certainly seems apropos:
“Apple Computer: Proudly Going Out of Business for over Thirty Years.” ;-)

Posted by: bruckheimer 2006-04-26 15:02:11 In reply to: Rob Waugh
Boot Camp may result in a few more people buying Macs, but it won't get them anywhere with OS X.
Software developers now have no incentive or requirement to write for OS X - they can simply write a Windows-based app knowing it can run on 100% of all PCs on the market.
Jump to:
If my employer requires me to return to the company's office full-time to perform my job, I will...
Agree, because I like my job regardless of where I perform my duties.
Comply, because I can't afford to lose my current job.
Go with the flow, but start looking for different employment.
Resign immediately, so I can dedicate all of my time to find a job that better suits my needs.
Try to negotiate a hybrid work from home / work in office arrangement with my employer.