Explore Newsletters from ECT News Network » View Samples | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Digital River - Talk to the Experts
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

MacNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   MacNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Can France Win Against iGoliath?

Re: Can France Win Against iGoliath?
Posted by: Salil Tripathi 2006-04-11 08:57:36
See Full Story

There was a time when France loved Apple. When the whole world was moving toward uniform, Goliath-like "IBM-compatible" PCs, France swore by its David, the Mac. Today, that situation has changed. Apple's iPod has become a giant, and France wants to open up the highway that connects it to Apple's music store. Is France right? It depends on who you ask. For free marketers, the French legislation, which was adopted in late March, is another example of a bumbling European government trying to regulate what's best left to the markets.

Re: Can France Win Against iGoliath?
Posted by: jbelkin 2006-04-11 15:56:18 In reply to: Salil Tripathi
Of course, you're entitled to your opinion but there are several areas where you have the facts incorrectly which might just cause you to re-think your opinion.
First, what the French gov't is proposing does not have to be logical since gov't are often not very logical.
But even ignoring that fact - why not force videogame makers to produce games that run on any system? Why does music get afforded special protection? Or as you clearly point, can you force Citreon owners to install a Honda engine for market competiveness?
But the facts are simply that you're ignoring the fact that ALL these online store files are OPEN by clicking on and putting in a CD. NO OTHER digital format - or analog format offers you the ease of conversion to make them "FREE." It's illegal to rip a DVD. It's illegal to photocopy a book so why does music in your mind need even less protection than it has now ... versus all other forms of entertainment or digital files?
Second and just as importantly why it's NOT a monopoly. The ipod works independently from the itunes store. Yes, you have to use itunes but that's free and you can even use itunes without having an ipod. Your ipod does not need any itunes store tracks to run - ZERO.
Of course, you dismiss that "open-ness" by saying, "unless the consumer is computer-savvy and wants to rip and burn compact discs."
How is that different than having to load itunes, navigate through itunes, create playlists and attach their ipod? Why is that act considered NOT computer savvy but clicking on a title, selecting CONVERT and putting in a CD WAY ABOVE board of what a computer/music user should have to go through?
I completely agree with you that all digital files should be free of DRM but if you're going to add DRM, music DRM is the lightest and easiest for the rightful end user to change if they so choose.
What you should be focused on is why the record label UNIVERSAl choose to pay legislatures to write this bill?
It's not as if Apple is pirating tracks to sell. Apple is LEGALLY licensing tracks from the record labels themselves to sell. It's NOT even a monopoly because as you point out because they are selling the tracks not only themselves but also to other online stores ...
So in essence they want to pass a law oulawing a track they are sold to a third party - WHAT IS GOING ON THERE? What is their hidden agenda? If they were so concerned with competition - why not just license ALL tracks DRM free? It's in their right as the copyright holder to do so? Why hasn't anyone asked them that? What/How do they think Apple will react if/when this is passed? Most likely they will withdraw the itues stores from FRance (still selling ipods) - so what will the net effect be? Drive Apple and maybe other online sellers away? Why? So they can back to selling CD's? Nevermind the increased rate of piracy? Why is selling CD's so important to them? Because they can hide those sales versus digital sales? Why?
That's the question you have to ask - why does a company LEGALLY license its product to be sold by a third party and then try to place restrictions legally on their sales? It would be like pepsi getting a law passed that Pepsi cannot be sold between 9 and midnight in stores ... You have to ask what Universal and the other labels really want to accomplish? THat's the real CRIME!
Jump to:
If my employer requires me to return to the company's office full-time to perform my job, I will...
Agree, because I like my job regardless of where I perform my duties.
Comply, because I can't afford to lose my current job.
Go with the flow, but start looking for different employment.
Resign immediately, so I can dedicate all of my time to find a job that better suits my needs.
Try to negotiate a hybrid work from home / work in office arrangement with my employer.