Get the ECT News Network Editor's Pick Newsletter » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

MacNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   MacNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Record Industry Pushes Apple to Raise iTunes Prices

Re: Record Industry Pushes Apple to Raise iTunes Prices
Posted by: Jennifer LeClaire 2006-04-03 13:44:15
See Full Story

The recording industry wants a bigger slice of the digital download pie. Some labels are pushing Apple to change the 99 US cents pricing model it pioneered when it launched iTunes three years ago. Apple has sold more than 1 billion songs since then, helping labels pad their declining CD sales. More than 350 million digital songs were sold in the U.S. alone last year, according to U.S. SoundScan. That's 1 1/2 times as many as were sold in 2004.

Posted by: HomeLights 2006-04-04 07:38:31 In reply to: Jennifer LeClaire
The record industry is made of up greedy suits who care nothing about the end consumer. They have been charging $15+ for music CD's since the day they came out in the 1980's - it only cost them $1 to make a CD back then so I know it's gotta be less today, yet they still charge the same prices for CD's - then they want to stop people from swapping music files because they can't get money out of it. They worked out a deal with Apple to charge .99-cents a song and everyone was happy - except the execs. Now they want to change the rules -AGAIN- to benefit themselves. If a music CD averages 15 songs and they charge $15 for it and Apple charges $1/song - doesn;t that equal out?? YES it does...so it can only mean one thing...the Record execs are getting greedy.

Posted by: magoo 2006-04-04 04:05:58 In reply to: Jennifer LeClaire
I think the record companies are being very stupid and greedy. If the price was different for different artist I for oone would br reluctant to buy the song if I know it will reduce in price if I wait long enough. Also I would look for alternatives to legal downloads.
I think the one price fits all is great. It means everybody is equal. I one thing I have learned in forums and discussion boards is, the internat culture is fair and equal. You do not discriminate due to age, gender or popularity. That is what the new generation are about.
Can't the record companies see that the iTunes model has worked? As you mentioned in this article, they have 80% of the market share. Does that not tell the record companies that this is what the comsumer wants.
They are being so greedy
Jump to:
If my employer requires me to return to the company's office full-time to perform my job, I will...
Agree, because I like my job regardless of where I perform my duties.
Comply, because I can't afford to lose my current job.
Go with the flow, but start looking for different employment.
Resign immediately, so I can dedicate all of my time to find a job that better suits my needs.
Try to negotiate a hybrid work from home / work in office arrangement with my employer.