Get the E-Commerce Minute Newsletter from the E-Commerce Times » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

MacNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   MacNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Intel Chips May Bring Mac and Windows Devotees Together or Not

Re: Intel Chips May Bring Mac and Windows Devotees Together or Not
Posted by: James Coates 2006-01-23 06:16:13
See Full Story

By the end of this year, Apple plans to use only chips from Intel rather than the PowerPC processors from IBM and Motorola's spun-off chipmaker Freescale Semiconductor. After two bitter decades of fighting the Wintel behemoth -- Windows software running exclusively on Intel chips -- Apple now will use the same chips. With that announcement, down came the biggest of all the walls that once divided computer users into warring Mac and PC camps. It no longer is an empty hope to visualize all of us -- Macoholics and Window-wonks alike -- having the best of both worlds.

Re: Intel Chips May Bring Mac and Windows Devotees Together or Not
Posted by: Musica360 2006-01-23 06:22:36 In reply to: James Coates
I really hate to read stories where people aren't checking their facts..." Niche products like audio editing and movie-making hardware/software packages rarely even attempt a Mac version. So Apple found itself forced to build into Macs stuff like the iMovie and GarageBand software."
The first of all what are we talking about high end stuff or low end stuff.
On the low end IMovie defined that whole movie making genre forcing Microsoft to come up with a similiar alternative. On the high end the Mac always had Avid Cinema and Adobe's product (name escapes me) and others but when they introduced Final Cut Pro, which has become somewhat of a standard, they couldn't compete with the Mac offering as people choose Apple's product over theirs. On the audio side we have Logic Audio, Cubase, Reason, Digi-Trax and Protools. Garageband came about as a way to give people an easy to use introduction to sound/music creation with the hope that they would upgrade to Logic when they needed more features.
Jump to:
If my employer requires me to return to the company's office full-time to perform my job, I will...
Agree, because I like my job regardless of where I perform my duties.
Comply, because I can't afford to lose my current job.
Go with the flow, but start looking for different employment.
Resign immediately, so I can dedicate all of my time to find a job that better suits my needs.
Try to negotiate a hybrid work from home / work in office arrangement with my employer.