Get the ECT News Network Weekly Newsletter » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

MacNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   MacNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Mac-vs.-PC Argument Has Taken New Twists

Re: Mac-vs.-PC Argument Has Taken New Twists
Posted by: Bill Husted 2005-12-14 06:27:18
See Full Story

My nose has been out of joint so many times after hearing from a Macintosh fan that it probably needs a splint. No doubt, some Mac users are normal humans. But the most, uh, enthusiastic of them redefine the word zealot. I keep worrying they'll offer me Kool-Aid along with the Apple. My standard -- and heartfelt -- line has been this: Computers are just a tool. Owning a Mac won't make you smart; using a PC won't make you dumb. That's still true.

Posted by: digicrom 2005-12-16 08:38:50 In reply to: Bill Husted
Bill, I agree with you, and have the same discussion myself at the Statesman, where I was the SFA manager for five years (Bill works for my old sister/flagship newspaper). I am also a dual platform user, and for certain tasks the PC is best suited (Games, and Sales Software are the category that stand out the most). But I do disagree on one specific item, argue that you left out needed information on another, and missed the ball completely on a last topic.
-
First off, I am not sure whom your security manger friend is, or what his specific background is, but it is rather difficult if not almost impossible to build a virus of the nature that we know from Windows to plunder the Mac. The fundamental problem that virus writers have is getting around the root log in for UNIX, which is the core of Mac OS X. Without the ability to do this automatically, it requires the user to type in this information when prompted. Many beginner level users donít know what this means and they pass on it, intermediate and advanced users will realize that there is indeed something Ēfishy going onĒ, and as such will cancel the screen. Even if a user were to give some malicious code access to their computer, the privileges set in the OS for the system itself by default, would prevent most malicious activity, if not all. This is a fundamental feature of all UNIX and Linux kernels, and is a complete different paradigm then Windows, making direct apple-to-apple virus liability comparisons difficult at best.
-
The second issue I have is not an incorrect statement, but rather a lack of information. I agree that Mac to PC speed comparisons are ridiculous. The nature of the processor design, the stages in the pipeline, and the amount of registers (not to mention a whole host of items I havenít mentioned) differs from the two architectures so much that speed of the processor is irrelevant when looking at the time it takes to do a particular task. But you didnít mention to your editor that Apple has shifted it business from Motorola/Freescale to Intel in the coming year, and that all Macís at sometime in the very near future will be Intel based. It wouldnít surprise me to see Intel based Macs announced at MacWorld in January 2006. And considering that your budget schedule is annual, you do have time for that announcement to pass, and make an informed decision then.
-
You also did not mention the cost of supporting PCís, and in my experience garnered with Cox as well as other Fortune 500 Companies, it is more costly than the Macís. Another puzzling comment was the speed of video processing, after reading that, I made a few calls to friends in the Advertising industry in California, Chicago, and here in Austin, Tx, folks like AdVerve, who make their bread and butter doing video, and each said the same, the PC may be have a faster processor, but the fastest software is only available on the Mac (I am not speaking of 3d rendering from the folk like Maya). And for the novice, there are many articles I can point you to that emphatically state that video editing is easier on the Mac than on any PC.
If I may make a suggestion, next time you write a computer related piece, pass it by you Pagination Editor, or your IT Staff (I seem to remember they are a world class operationÖ) they are a great resource for technical information. Lastly, Iím not sure you will even read the comments, but are you the same Bill who wrote for the business desk at the Constitution?
-
B. Drew Moynihan
drew.Moynihan@bam2media.com
-
Publisher / Technologist
SFA & CRM Media Consulting
-
www.bam2media.com
www.loftywords.com
www.techarati.com
www.austinmod.com

Posted by: daswolf 2005-12-16 00:57:39 In reply to: Bill Husted
I am a Mac guy, but I do work on both being a web designer I use my PC quite a bit a work. While the other part of the time and at home I am on my Mac.
The one thing that I hardly ever hear in this PC vs Mac debate is that when you buy a Mac you get tons of free apps. But when you buy a PC you have to buy Office and others just to get a minimal ammount of work done. There is Mozilla and tons of free-share ware out there for PC. But getting itunes,iPhoto,iCal,address book,and iMovie plus others is hard to beat in my book. The $200.00 price difference is a deal with this software alone. Never hear anyone mention that. Many may choose to diagree but WTH.MAC RULES WINDOWS DROOLS.

Posted by: kkrimmer 2005-12-14 19:54:06 In reply to: Bill Husted
I've used both at home and in business (65 users, 40 Mac, 25 PC) and most of what this guys saying is crap.
In the early to mid 1990s if you bought a PC it was stripped down, to get the same that came standard on a Mac (like Networking) you would end up paying the same for a PC as a Mac.
Now he says: Yes. I've found it a little more difficult to set up a mixed network, but it sure is doable.
BULLSHEET... I have set up many mixed networks and the Mac is the least problem, Windows second least, Linux is the most time consuming. With Apple's new Bonjour (for Windows) a Mac will recognize and mount or unmount a Windows machine effortlessly... I have a OS X 10.4 at home and a IBM ThinkPad. With Bonjour installed on both I can transfer files effortlessly.
http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/bonjour/
I use Bonjour to network my inkjet printer at home with the ThinkPad, Mac G5, and HP desktop.
This guy is an idiot who didn't do his homework like he should have and has misled people as to the facts.

Posted by: mauisam 2005-12-14 09:41:58 In reply to: Bill Husted
How did you get a mixed network to work? I have a Mac and a Linux box and one to see the other.

Re: Mac-vs.-PC Argument - FUD boys only way to get air time
Posted by: A clue for you! 2005-12-14 09:32:37 In reply to: Bill Husted
Spoken as only the blindingly ignorant, FUD lobotomized, PC ZEALOT can.
90% misinformation and a disservice to all who wasted the two minutes it took to pollute their consciousness with your version of reality.
I say drink the cool aid, you desperately need a huge reality check. Th view from the other side will be MUCH clearer and you'll no longer be infesting humanity with your bull shit.

Posted by: kpidcoc 2005-12-14 08:55:30 In reply to: Bill Husted
"My nose has been out of joint so many times after hearing from a Macintosh fan that it probably needs a splint."
I stand ready to defend a rational author against irrational attacks.
"And the Mac is equally vulnerable to some of the worst threats. Phisher e-mails that trick computer users into going to a fake Web site where personal information can be harvested are just as dangerous on a Mac."
OK. Disregard the previous sentiment.

Posted by: machelpdesk 2005-12-14 07:58:57 In reply to: Bill Husted
You wrote: "While Macs haven't had trouble with viruses, the security landscape is changing fast. There have been some security weaknesses discovered in the Mac, just not as many as with the PC."
The reality is that there are NO VIRUSES for the Mac OS X. There haven't been for the entire 5-year life of Mac OS X. Windows has, depending on who you speak with, over 90,000 viruses.
You wrote: "...the Mac is equally vulnerable to some of the worst threats. Phisher e-mails..."
This is not an OS issue. This is a social engineering issue.
You wrote: "The Mac is not hacker-proof. Nor is it impossible to create a virus that attacks the Mac's operating system."
No system is absolutely hacker-proof. But Mac OS X, with it's Unix underpinings, has proven to be incredibly resistant to worms, viruses, and other types of attacks. The numbers speak for themselves: 90,000 visurse for the PC environment, 0 for the Mac environment.

Posted by: fred05 2005-12-14 07:58:48 In reply to: Bill Husted
Typical Mac Fanatic here. Pretty fair article, no major complaints but two points. 1. Apple switch to Intel? I'm personally waiting. Intel chips will be faster and you won't be stranded. speed won't be a part of the debate a year from now becasue the chips will be identical. 2. Viruses, spyware, adware. Come on now. Mac- Hypothetical MS-Real. Period end of story. The primary in my opinion is not viruses, I use both as well, it's the spyware-adware. Spybot catches 10 per day! on my pc. There are NONE for mac. Gamers point is very true. If someone has a specific need for an application that could affect the platform choice for sure. Vista is supposed to need a new type of video card but that's so far away that I don't think that should worry anyone.

Posted by: kkrimmer 2005-12-14 20:12:48 In reply to: fred05
If you think Mac users are fanatics, say something less than stellar about Linux and watch the sparks fly...
Apple successfully has moved many times and the Intel move will be no different. Mac users buy Macs for the interface not for the processor.
A good source for unbiased information in addition to macnewsworld.com is
http://www.infoworld.com/
Jump to:
If my employer requires me to return to the company's office full-time to perform my job, I will...
Agree, because I like my job regardless of where I perform my duties.
Comply, because I can't afford to lose my current job.
Go with the flow, but start looking for different employment.
Resign immediately, so I can dedicate all of my time to find a job that better suits my needs.
Try to negotiate a hybrid work from home / work in office arrangement with my employer.