Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

LinuxInsider Talkback

ECT News Community   »   LinuxInsider Talkback   »   Re: LMDE4: How Much Does Debian Matter?

Re: LMDE4: How Much Does Debian Matter?
Posted by: Jack M. Germain 2020-04-03 17:13:09
See Full Story

Linux Mint Debian 4, or LMDE4, is now available. Does it really matter whether you run this latest Linux Mint release, based on Debian Linux, instead of Linux Mint 19.3, based on Ubuntu Linux? The answer depends on two things. One is your personal computing philosophy regarding refresh cycles and leading-edge technologies. The other is what you want in terms of a computing experience -- such as new features, reliability, performance and style. Also consider a related question: How does LMDE4 compare to running pure Debian Linux?

One major disadvantage over standard Mint
Posted by: Rob-S 2020-04-13 21:47:58 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
As much as I like the idea behind LMDE and how stable it already seems, I guess LMDE has (at least) one major disadvantage over standard Mint the incompatibility with most Ubuntu PPAs, so there's fewer software available that would install in a way that it might get updates along with system updates.

Re: LMDE4: How Much Does Debian Matter?
Posted by: mmphosis 2020-04-09 15:21:25 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
I am coming from using Debian 10.3 in production, and Void Linux in development. So far, I am impressed with LMDE4.
Jump to:
Which Big Tech CEO that testified at the Congressional Antitrust Hearing on July 29 is the most trustworthy?
Jeff Bezos of Amazon
Mark Zuckerberg of Facebook
Sundar Pichai of Google
Tim Cook of Apple
All of them are equally trustworthy to some extent.
None of them are trustworthy whatsoever.