Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

LinuxInsider Talkback

ECT News Community   »   LinuxInsider Talkback   »   Re: MX Linux Reinvents Computer Use

Re: MX Linux Reinvents Computer Use
Posted by: Jack M. Germain 2019-06-06 14:22:03
See Full Story

MX Linux is an appealing midweight Linux operating system. The midweight category is a bit unusual. Desktop environments that run well on minimal hardware typically fall into the lightweight category. Lightweight environments like Xfce, LXDE/LXQt, Enlightenment and iceWM often are paired with software applications that do not tax system resources with heavy graphics and animations. Lightweight Linux distros are good choices to keep aging computers running fast and furious. So-called midweight distros push the resource limits a bit.

Posted by: zwakikushtia 2020-04-15 13:40:55 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
I was a very big fan of Linux mint for more than 10 years. But due to money problem I bought a budget laptop with 4gb ram an Celeron processor and win 8 pre installed in 2016. I tried to install Linux mint but uefi happen.I tried Every solution in the world about uefi and corrupted grub. But no solution to this kind of problem. So I tried ubuntu, pop os, Manjaro, Debian, fedora, dude etc. But grub has been always corrupt. I don't know what the problems were? Then I found MX Linux. And I tried it. Amazingly it works. Now I can use win 10 duel boot with MX Linux. MX linux is very fast and very stable too. For 5 months I am using it....but no problem... I love MX Linux more than Linux Mint and any other Linux. Go on MX Linux.....

Posted by: JReis 2019-10-16 13:37:14 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
To be clear, MX's FAQ points out that upgrades between versions are only for versions where neither the base Debian version or the XFCE version change:

"When the Debian base has changed or a new Xfce version is released (both of which occurred with MX-19), then reinstalling is needed for continued reliable use."

For context, it wasn't possible to migrate from MX-16 to MX-17. 17-18 was ok, but then MX-18 to MX-19 was not supported.

I think saying "MXLinux lets you perform a system upgrade without doing a re-installation for every new release." is a bit misleading, though technically true (as re-installation is not needed to every release).

Just thought I'd mention it since this is actually what stops me from using MX as a daily driver. I do use it as a portable from a thumbdrive, for which it is excellent. For chronic distro-hoppers this may not be an issue. But I have multiple Debian boxes that haven't needed a re-install ever (migrated with minimal pain from Wheezy to Jessie to Stretch to Buster—better part of a decade now) and even Fedora is a better bet for avoiding re-installation long term.

Posted by: cuvtixo 2019-06-16 11:09:10 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
ULTIMATE USB DISTRO!!! I was sorry to see how lightly this was glossed over. ALL settings and customizations are persistent. I came here after Fatdog64 review; MX is everything the other isn't. It has much to owe to antiX for this. I stopped playing with Tails because of lack of persistence- yeah there's tricky security issues, but- it's just plain unusable for me. MX18 is everything I wanted in a USB-stick distro and I'm psyched!

Posted by: ecw0647 2019-06-10 10:15:15 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
I like MX 18.3 a lot. Their installer, however, could be simplified. For the average person wanting to switch from Windows, it's a bit intimidating. I also really like the ability to create a Live-USB with persistence.

Posted by: Wormwood 2019-06-06 20:46:46 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
Your reviews are an absolute delight to read because it is obvious that you actually WORK with and on your subject, and then explain things in a clear, lucid manner which leads the reader to know that he's looking over your shoulder as you work.

Incomparable style, great writing, and outstanding effort on your part.

Many thanks.

Posted by: jackmgerm 2019-06-07 19:05:03 In reply to: Wormwood
Thank you for your comments and for reading our Linux Picks and Pans column. Your reader support is much appreciated.

Jack M. Germain
ECT News Network

Posted by: Wormwood 2019-06-08 10:22:11 In reply to: jackmgerm
I am, because of your article, in the process of installing MX-Linux on a new laptop purchase.

I am really looking forward to your follow-on articles about Linux Mint.
Keep up the good work...

Posted by: PrimeSuspect 2019-06-06 14:24:48 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
I love MX-Linux and was also a huge fan of their KDE4 added community release. Not too keen on Thunar though so I use Dolphin instead. My tweaked version here: https://i.imgur.com/crqptOE.png

Posted by: hotearth 2019-06-06 22:51:03 In reply to: PrimeSuspect
Would you share how you tweaked your Desktop to look like this?

Posted by: jackmgerm 2019-06-07 19:55:35 In reply to: hotearth
I can't take credit for the desktop tweaking. I hadn't done anything yet before taking the screenshot. The desktop applet is a feature of the Conky app bundled with MX Linux. You can turn off the display at the top of the screen using the Conky Toggle switch in the main menu. The green background and the contents of the left vertical panel bar are all part of the default desktop design when you run the live CD to access the installer. I should have mentioned in the review that MX Linux comes with an attractive collection of background images. However, the main menu provides several tools to configure and tweak the desktop appearance and behavior.

Jack M. Germain
ECT News Network

Posted by: PrimeSuspect 2019-06-07 08:10:59 In reply to: hotearth
Not sure how much experience you have with Linux but most of them look pretty dull out of the box and MX is no exception. Once you change the sidebar to a horizontal panel it’s just a question of shuffling the various components around and changing some themes.
The base theme is part of the OMG Suite here:
https://www.deviantart.com/nale12/art/OMG-Suite-288398137
Just extract this into your .themes folder and it will then appear in the settings options.
The Windows 10 icon theme is here:
https://www.xfce-look.org/p/1013482/
The Conky theme is “Red Rings” although I’ve altered mine around from the original to suit the wallpaper background.
https://www.deviantart.com/jose75c/art/Conky-Red-Rings-701978395
The other two monitors and the analog clock are components of Cairo Dock. Good luck with that if you’re not familiar with it because the learning curve to customize the various plugins, separate items from the dock and hide it etc. is pretty steep but well worth the effort.
I changed the panel clock font by adding the “LCD2 normal” font to my selection:
https://www.wfonts.com/font/lcd2
The menu icon used is from the Zorin system and the other icons like 4 dots in a square are just custom icons I assigned to those launchers.

Posted by: PrimeSuspect 2019-06-08 03:46:38 In reply to: PrimeSuspect
Should also have mentioned you can get a while stack of window border themes from here:
https://www.xfce-look.org/browse/cat/138/ord/rating/
Jump to:
How important is the availability of curbside service when you consider a physical store to do your shopping?
Critically Important - I will not shop at an establishment that does not provide curbside service.
Quite Important - During the pandemic I prefer not to go inside a physical location. Still, I will consider a business that does not offer curbside service.
Somewhat Important - I like a curbside option, but it’s not part of my decision-making process when I choose where to shop.
Not Important - I do not use curbside pickup. When I go out to shop I want to select everything myself.