Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

LinuxInsider Talkback

ECT News Community   »   LinuxInsider Talkback   »   Re: Solus Project's Virtues Begin and End With Stability

Re: Solus Project's Virtues Begin and End With Stability
Posted by: Jack M. Germain 2016-01-11 14:37:56
See Full Story

The Solus Project is much like the little engine that still can't function. Version 1.0 was released last month as the first stable release from the twice-revamped Linux distro. Solus is built from scratch for the x86_64 architecture around a rewritten Budgie homemade desktop environment. Budgie is an open source project in its own right. It offers a simplified approach to implementing the look and feel of the older-style GNOME 2 functionality. Version 1.0 does work out of the gate. It does little to impress beyond not crashing, however.

Re: Solus Project's Virtues Begin and End With Stability
Posted by: ryangorley 2016-01-12 00:55:20 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
I use Solus as the sole OS for my workstation and have found it to be solid, especially since the 1.0 release. Granted it doesn't yet have the library you'll find on other distros, but it has the core applications I was looking for, with many more being added on a regular basis. Having up-to-date applications is one of their goals and has been nice. To the complaints about features, I would remind anyone interested that this is the first stable release of a from-scratch Linux OS, be realistic about your expectations. This is a very ambitious project bringing fresh ideas to the desktop OS landscape at a very rapid pace. The developers are very engaged with the community and doing stellar work. Want to see something done differently? Just say so, they'll actually listen. It is refreshing to find a project with a singular vision to build an elegant, desktop-only distro and the drive to actually make it happen. I use it and love it and thing you should try it.
Jump to:
What is the greatest challenge to organizations implementing Artificial Intelligence?
A shortage of talent with the skills to utilize AI to its full potential.
AI can be expensive and the return on investment is questionable to decision makers.
AI is an unfamiliar and complex technology that is not yet fully trusted.
AI has its own set of cybersecurity concerns which require additional resources.
Dependability of AI technology is still in doubt.
Many view AI as an unnecessary luxury.