Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Salesforce Industries Summit
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

LinuxInsider Talkback

ECT News Community   »   LinuxInsider Talkback   »   Re: Linux Mint Upgrade Sparkles

Re: Linux Mint Upgrade Sparkles
Posted by: Jack M. Germain 2015-12-17 17:01:02
See Full Story

Linux Mint upgrade to version 17.3 Rosa is one upgrade regular users do not want to skip. This latest release in downloadable ISO format, available in the MATE and Cinnamon desktop editions, hit servers earlier this month. Several days later, the upgrade was available from within the package management repository for existing Linux Mint users. That eliminates the need for a clean installation and having to set up all the apps and configurations to use the new release.

Posted by: TrueReview 2016-01-12 20:11:11 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
Wow, new and improved sparkly warkly super dooper...really? Despite all the hyperbole and undefinable ie subjective praise, I find 17.3 to be darker (depressing dull menu color scheme), more cumbersome and bloated as well as definitely slower.

Went back to 17.2 because its fast, light, menus system is more logical and leaner. The shutdown menus doesnt take 25s like it does in 17.2 but other than that and some window dressing nothing to get hyped up about. The change reminds me more of a microsoft upgrade and we all know how good they are. Unfortunately Mint is always vague about its alleged imrpovements - saying its better doesnt make it so. Try it if you like it great! but nothing to rush into imo.

Posted by: onlywaytogo 2016-02-03 13:11:41 In reply to: TrueReview
'Sparkly warkly' or not, Linux Mint gives me complete privacy.

It doesn't sneak around a dozen back doors spying on my family and for that reason alone, Linux Mint will always be superior to anything Microsoft spits out.

Even Canonical's Ubuntu is pure spyware and this family studiously avoids anything from Canonical that hasn't been stripped clean of its spying capabilities and altered enough to be good enough for the privacy conscious.

Nothing, but nothing, compares to Linux Mint for the most important thing in the world - complete privacy.

Posted by: weaser200 2015-12-18 17:54:34 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
I tried Debian, Ubuntu 14.04, Ubuntu 15.10 Linux Mint 17.1, I have a disk of Point Linux, but it is like Debian too. So far Linux Mint is my favorite, everything is within reach, I love the pick & choose programs, I can click on, to install. I can put favorites on the bottom bar to make it easily accessible Like Artha, Speed Crunch Calculator, Cheese, so that my computer can become my camera too, & because my camera quit. Since everything is accessible & I don't have to look for anything, I do my computers functions like a breeze & even have time for a game of solitare or tetravex. I cannot really see Mint being even better, But as long as you do not do like Ubuntu 15.10, & make my computer into a cloud computer, I will be happy.
Jump to:
When considering a new smartwatch, which feature set is most important to you?
Alerts and Notifications
Calls and Messaging
Clock and Time Tracking
Contactless Payments and Banking
Design and Personalization
GPS and Maps
Health and Fitness
Music and Video