Get the ECT News Network Editor's Pick Newsletter » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Ideoclick eBook
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

LinuxInsider Talkback

ECT News Community   »   LinuxInsider Talkback   »   Re: Raspberry Pi Gets a Touchscreen to Call Its Own

Re: Raspberry Pi Gets a Touchscreen to Call Its Own
Posted by: Jack M. Germain 2015-09-19 06:53:51
See Full Story

The Raspberry Pi Foundation on Tuesday announced the availability of a touchscreen that brings the low-cost tiny computer one step closer to becoming a standalone mobile device. The touchscreen was in development for nearly two years. The first round of screens will require some assembly of parts that arrive in a small kit, noted Gordon Hollingworth, director of software at Raspberry Pi. For those who can tolerate the wait, shipments of assembled screens will come later.

Posted by: LewisG 2015-09-22 10:16:50 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
Oh; one last comment:
Do NOT waste your time pointing out to the Raspberry Pi people the shortcomings--no matter HOW objective and nice you are--of their product.
Any such observations will be met with no conversation at all; the guardian of the gate (YOU fill in the blank; the guardian knows who s/h/e is) will simply have your post removed.
Civil dialogue and conversation is not a part of what The Raspberry Pi Foundation considers good engineering and good science.
The Raspberry Pi is right on track to become the next Ubuntu.
What's the next Grandstand/Showboat, Liz, err, Eben?

Posted by: LewisG 2015-09-22 08:35:48 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
"The touchscreen was in development for nearly two years. The first round of screens will require some assembly of parts that arrive in a small kit, noted Gordon Hollingworth, director of software at Raspberry Pi. For those who can tolerate the wait, shipments of assembled screens will come later."
Sorry, but this-as well as much else-- sounds like pufferyy on the part of the RPi Foundation.
More than TWO YEARS in development? (IT'S still NOT DONE)
Here's an objective review, "Oh, good. Now I've got a use for that DSI port."(!)
Perfect timing: tablet sales are tanking because of ergonomics, and RPi started working on this less-than-sterling-spec device TWO YEARS AGO, and still aren't finished. AND, one can buy an Amazon tablet for $50.00. LESSEE now, $39 + $74 + $15 + 12 + $15 + poor resolution + ... Yup! right up there with my $50.00 tablet.

Oh, and speaking of timing: if the brain trusts at RPi had decided two years ago to invest these two years into something really ground-breaking, who knows what the results could have been?

On the other hand, perhaps they DID, and these ARE the results.
Jump to:
Which COVID-19 vaccine would you prefer to receive if offered to you today?
Johnson & Johnson
Moderna
Pfizer-BioNTech
I'll take any COVID-19 vaccine that is made available to me right now.
I'm not sure. I need more time to make an educated decision.
I'm not interested in getting a COVID-19 vaccine at this time.