Get the ECT News Network Editor's Pick Newsletter » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Ideoclick eBook
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

LinuxInsider Talkback

ECT News Community   »   LinuxInsider Talkback   »   Re: Antergos Linux Lowers the Arch Barrier

Re: Antergos Linux Lowers the Arch Barrier
Posted by: Jack M. Germain 2015-06-19 03:16:56
See Full Story

Antergos is an Arch-based Linux distribution that offers six desktop choices. This is a distro that Linux tinkerers might well embrace, but it comes with a few more stumbling blocks than other Linux options, which could make it a less welcome alternative. Its developers created a cute logo that espouses the notion that Antergos is a distro "for everyone." In some ways, that is true. The developers smoothed over some of the tripping points that bog down typical Arch distro entry.

Re: Antergos Linux Lowers the Arch Barrier
Posted by: grg3 2015-06-19 06:35:49 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
I agree that Antergos is the both the best and fastest way of getting up and running with Arch. I am a longtime Ubuntu and Debian user, but I have dabbled in Arch derivatives for a while because the amount of software readily available for Arch closely parallels that of Ubuntu/Debian. I had high hopes for Manjaro, but find it a bit rough. Antergos has always been good but the latest minimal install media is a great way to get the arch desktop you want with minimal fuss. Bridge is good, but Antergos is the best Arch derivative.

Every time I install an Arch distro, I am reminded about just how complacent I have become with Ubuntu. Ubuntu has been excellent at ironing out quirks and I have familiar ways of dealing with any that remain. When you change to a very different distro like Arch, you have to be ready for a certain amount of wiki reading and googling. It reminds me of the days I spent making my Mandrake install do everything my Windows install would do.

I have recently installed Antergos (gnome) on my laptop and two other systems. I find that I have to replace lightdm with gdm, but it gets easier each time you install it and you get more and more adept at dealing with setup minutia. Who knows? Maybe it will replace my Ubuntu Gnome desktop some day. Time will tell.
Jump to:
Which COVID-19 vaccine would you prefer to receive if offered to you today?
Johnson & Johnson
Moderna
Pfizer-BioNTech
I'll take any COVID-19 vaccine that is made available to me right now.
I'm not sure. I need more time to make an educated decision.
I'm not interested in getting a COVID-19 vaccine at this time.