Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Women in Tech
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

LinuxInsider Talkback

ECT News Community   »   LinuxInsider Talkback   »   Re: Should Everyone Learn to Code?

Re: Should Everyone Learn to Code?
Posted by: Katherine Noyes 2014-06-23 08:22:09
See Full Story

So the dog days of summer are upon us once again here in the northern reaches of the Linux blogosphere, and for countless young people out there, that means it's time for camp. Some, of course, will take this time to pursue their sweaty fun in the great out-of-doors alongside our friends the ticks and mosquitoes. Linux Girl wishes those hearty souls well from the chilly confines of her arctic lair. Many others will go to code camp instead, and learn skills that will last them a lifetime.

Posted by: TheTechAcademy 2016-02-24 11:39:03 In reply to: Katherine Noyes
The tech industry is growing at an exponential rate. Per Forbes Magazine and the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, in 2020 there will be one million unfulfilled coding jobs. That's going to offer some job security.

Although, I'm guessing programming and IT is going to become more focused on in our educational system; first private schools then it'll make it's way around to public schools.

The Tech Academy provides a 15 week training program to help fill that void.

Posted by: noway 2014-08-13 07:45:21 In reply to: Katherine Noyes
I'm with Linus Torvalds. Programming takes logic as a basic trait and is not something you can teach.

Every school SHOULD have an elective though like similar to woodshop.

It is a huge subject, but maybe something like a java class would give them the basics.

Posted by: gera 2014-07-01 22:14:38 In reply to: Katherine Noyes
How can i learn to code on my own? I have been entertaining the idea for a couple of months but i have no computer knowledge but i find it very intresting. If you can help me let me know.

EVERYONE SHOULD LEARN TO CODE!
Posted by: kibert 2014-06-27 20:42:29 In reply to: Katherine Noyes
...for much poorer reasons than that everyone ought to learn to be a garbageman, or a sewer worker. Face it: those people are MUCH MORE important to the smooth running of our society and of our world.
Edsger Djikstra, arguably one of the most brilliant computer scientists ever (he supposedly very much disliked the appelation), was adamant about even HAVING a discipline called "Computer Science". His argument was that a computer is nothing more than a dumb machine. How can, and why should, a discipline spring up AROUND A MACHINE?!
He maintained that this is strictly an artifice, and that if it had any credibility and validity, we should be creating Schools of Typewriter Science, Submarine Science, and the like.

Quit trying to elevate computer coding to a level it does not deserve, nor ever has. The smartest computer programmer--a LEAD, or 'HEAD' Department Manager Programmer--I ever knew did NOT know any programming language in detail. She would write her 'programs' (VERY CORRECT PROGRAMS) in pseudocode, and then hand them over to be coded by the people who could turn that into code.
Time to re-think this whole business, folks, and quit breaking your arms patting yourselves on the back.

"The secret to writing large, correct programs is to write nothing but small, correct programs".
--anon; paraphrase

Posted by: klwilcoxon 2014-06-27 17:53:09 In reply to: Katherine Noyes
Coding seems like a broad thing to me. C++, php, javascript are all coding, right? So coding in what is the question. Let's say everyone needs to learn some form of coding. Which is/are the most useful (combined with easier to learn - didn't say easy) for the interconnected world?

What's So Special That You Think Everyone Should Learn to Code?
Posted by: kibert 2014-06-23 18:05:20 In reply to: Katherine Noyes
Should everyone learn how to lay brick?
Should everyone learn how to use a sewing machine?
Should everyone learn how to bake a pound cake?
Should everyone learn how to solder?
Should everyone learn how to use a lathe?
Should everyone learn how to fly a helicopter?

Don't look now, but your elitism is showing, and glaringly so. Stop fixating on "computing machinery" to the extent that you write stupid articles like this. You are probably less than one percent of the world's population.

The sad fact is that our education system is so out of whack, that articles should be written which STATE, and not ask:
Everyone SHOULD learn mathematics.
Everyone SHOULD learn how to read WELL.
Everyone SHOULD learn how to write WELL.
Then everything else, which is subordinate to these basics, will take care of themselves.

You need to recall the words of Edsger Dijkstra--one of THE most brilliant 'computer scientists'--who said something like, 'What's so special about computers that we have a discipline called "Computer Science"? 'Why don't we have "Typewriter Science?" ' 'Why don't we have "Submarine Science" '?

People don't need to learn to code any more than they need to know how to repair the brakes on their car.

Posted by: jdsax 2014-06-23 08:25:22 In reply to: Katherine Noyes
I believe everyone should have an introductory coding class. This way, everyone is exposed to coding so anyone who has a talent for it isn't left behind merely because they never experienced it.
Jump to:
What is the greatest challenge to organizations implementing Artificial Intelligence?
A shortage of talent with the skills to utilize AI to its full potential.
AI can be expensive and the return on investment is questionable to decision makers.
AI is an unfamiliar and complex technology that is not yet fully trusted.
AI has its own set of cybersecurity concerns which require additional resources.
Dependability of AI technology is still in doubt.
Many view AI as an unnecessary luxury.