Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Women in Tech
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

LinuxInsider Talkback

ECT News Community   »   LinuxInsider Talkback   »   Re: Which Distro Is Best for Beginners?

Re: Which Distro Is Best for Beginners?
Posted by: Katherine Noyes 2013-10-14 07:14:16
See Full Story

Well it was a relatively quiet week here in the Linux blogosphere, where all the code is strong and the UIs good-looking. Yes, we had the good news about Tor and its NSA resistance, and yes, the Unu three-way gaming device and the Lenovo Android laptop both generated some excitement of their own. Truth be told, though, Linux fans have been overloaded with good news lately. When times are good, where do most Linux bloggers' thoughts turn? That's right: polls. There's nothing like a good Linux poll to make a good life even better.

Posted by: Andrew Franklin 2016-03-19 07:46:48 In reply to: Katherine Noyes
I think Ubuntu is the best solution for all Linux users from beginner to advance. And also, Debian is the best solution for advanced Linux users.

http://howtouselinux.net

Posted by: beastofthepast 2014-03-13 19:39:32 In reply to: Katherine Noyes
Definitely Arch is the best distro for beginners. It gives you familiar feelings like windows. Install drivers, adding themes, etc, to your system. Even setting up a wireless is not easy task. The reason why you need an expert to install your system. Feels like Windows doesn't it?

Posted by: robertojdohnert 2013-11-21 02:21:52 In reply to: Katherine Noyes
OS/4 OpenLinux, which has recently become Black Lab Linux is a really good Linux distribution for beginners. Easy to install and easy to use. Definitely up there.

http://www.os4online.com

Posted by: bloolips 2013-10-20 02:12:03 In reply to: Katherine Noyes
The real question one should ask how much are you
willing to search and study and are willing to learn. The documentation is already there on line for even the most difficult questions concerning the use of linux. Many are able to maintain the most advanced systems simply by using the resources that are already in place. First you must ascertain just exactly how motivated one is to take advantage
of the resources that exist and then make your recommendation....absolutely.

I just don't get Mr Lim's suggestion of EITHER Fedora19 OR Ubuntu for a beginner. Fedora touts itself as for experts or developers, and Ubuntu is for neither.

Mayank Sharma, in issue 175 of Linux Format does a side-by-side comparison of Fedora19 and Korora19. Because K19 comes with absolutely EVERYTHING ANYONE WOULD EVER NEED, including applications, great documentation and ease-of-use, while F19 is exactly what everyone expects from Fedora, Korora gets an 8/10, while Fedora earns a 6/10.

As Mayank puts it, if one has really high-speed internet and several hours to spare, one can turn Fedora19 into Korora19. Or, alternatively, one could simply download Korora 19 and be done with it.

I'm a big fan of Linux Mint, and would still recommend it to a newcomer (the KDE version has a really outstanding netbook/notebook Desktop), but I think I'll give Korora19 a (pun intended) spin. Mr Sharma's review is that compelling.

LXF175 has a sidebar comparing Fedora, OpenSUSE, and Mageia.
It does NOT (surprise!) compare Fedora to Ubuntu.

I am at a complete loss as to why one of your 'experts' would.

Posted by: nickmh 2013-10-17 00:22:04 In reply to: Katherine Noyes
Xubuntu with kwin widows manager and Whisker menu or Linux Lite XFC or Solidx. You can get these to behaive just like Win 7. Especially with kwin installed and they're lite enough to run on most old systems.

Linux should be jumoing all over the Discontinuance of XP That's where the nect potential growth will come from on the Desktop.

But I understand and respect, in fact love, that Linux is not generally a commercial operation by it's nature.

But they're my thoughts. As Screwy as some may think them to be :) But then that's Linux. Freedom :)

The desktop environment is still a mess though...
Posted by: apexwm 2013-10-16 13:50:06 In reply to: Katherine Noyes
Unfortunately, we are at a strange time with desktop environments. Gnome 3 is changing the UI considerably, and helping people use GNU/Linux from Windows is tough because of this radical UI change. It was easy with Gnome 2, but it is not easy with Gnome 3. KDE is decent and XFCE as well. Gnome 3 classic looks like it may bridge this gap though, so I hope that is the road that we can take. That aside, most mainstream distributions are excellent and easy to use. Let's help more get away from the pain of proprietary software and get them on these distributions! There's no looking back.

Posted by: jymm 2013-10-15 13:01:11 In reply to: Katherine Noyes
There is no right Distro for beginners. I always ask what the persons level of competence is with Windows. Why do I have all those tool bars? Or a power user looking for more control? Also what hardware will you be running Linux on? An old XP from 2002 with 256 MB of memory and 1.6GHZ single core processor and 30 gig hard drive? Or a quad core 250 gig hard drive?

That said I always see some Linux joker telling them to try Slackware to start. That will send them back to Windows.

I started with Zorin. It is familiar, but breaks to often. I then went to Solus. Great newbie Distro, but changing from Debian based to an independent Distro. I am now trying Point. I find Debian stable and like a traditional desktop.

As much as I like Debian, it is not for newbies. Try to find a Distro with both free and non-free software. Debian is great, but a newbie will not know how to set up wireless and add non free codecs and such.

A few minutes talking with the newbie can be the difference between a Linux convert and someone running back to Windoze.

Posted by: cirrus 2013-10-14 13:43:31 In reply to: Katherine Noyes
For me it would depend on the user i was advocating too, if it was my grandmother or someone who just wanted a browser for facebook and youstare etc, then i would most prolly recommend Linux Mint, if however it was say a friend who was a windows power user and knew a DIMM from a SODIMM and actually wanted to learn linux id prolly recommend arch or Gentoo something of that ilk, simply because they do not hide the command line away from you and actually urge you to use it. Sure there will be a learning curve but its really not that much of a sharp bend. My reasoning is this 'using a distro like Gentoo, Arch LFS etc for 6 months will learn this user more about linux than 5 years use of a mintbuntu type distro'. For the record i applaud anyone & everyone who contributes to linux in any shape or form, im certainly not flaming or fanboying its just how i see it. We are the people !

Posted by: kibert 2013-10-14 07:36:21 In reply to: Katherine Noyes
I was soooo glad when I read "...last but not least...". It meant I didn't have to be subjected to--and endure the agony of--the opinion of someone who never has one, no matter that he knows absolutely anything.

My vote: Linux Mint.

It's easy to use, very intuitive, has a hard-working, caring, chief-executive ('lead-developer', he calls himself), and everything Clem Lefebvre does revolves around his users.

Mint has only one teensy negative: it's built on Ubuntu. I uderstand that Clem, along with the rest of the entire world, has gotten fed up with Mark Shuttleworth's brainworms, and has a long-term stable base planned for Mint.

Until then, be assured that Clem will fix all the indignities of Ubuntu which Shuttleworth foists on the world every six months, the result being one outstanding Linus distro.

By the way, you do KNOW, don't you, that Shuttleworth DOES NOT want Ubuntu referred to as 'Linux'?

Go ask HIM.
Jump to:
What is the greatest challenge to organizations implementing Artificial Intelligence?
A shortage of talent with the skills to utilize AI to its full potential.
AI can be expensive and the return on investment is questionable to decision makers.
AI is an unfamiliar and complex technology that is not yet fully trusted.
AI has its own set of cybersecurity concerns which require additional resources.
Dependability of AI technology is still in doubt.
Many view AI as an unnecessary luxury.