ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

LinuxInsider Talkback

ECT News Community   »   LinuxInsider Talkback   »   Re: Making Linux Work

Re: Making Linux Work
Posted by: Jack M. Germain 2012-08-21 07:48:06
See Full Story

The fear of failure factor is one reason why potential newcomers to the Linux operating system never complete the switch. After all, when was the last time you saw a sign in a big-box computer store identifying the aisle labeled "Linux Loaded?" Most desktops and laptops come out of the box with Microsoft Windows preinstalled. Don't even think about asking about Linux in an Apple goodies store. Linux options in most storefronts are limited at best. Buying Linux-loaded computers online can be a safe but often pricey option.

Re: Preventing GNU/Linux From Working
Posted by: pogson 2012-08-21 13:48:24 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
TFA is far too negative. I have spent the last 12 years installing GNU/Linux on random PCs in schools. I only met one that would not boot and that was network-booting on an ancient PC. Occasionally some device will not work but that is rare and it's not usually something that prevents booting so install GNU/Linux without fear. There's always a way to get full use of a PC. Even a partially successful installation of GNU/Linux will be superior to the malware and re-re-reboots of that other OS.

Further, there is no need to ever go into a store and buy a PC with that other OS to install GNU/Linux. Many reputable on-line retailers will ship you a GNU/Linux PC or one with FreeDOS or No OS so more of your money goes into better hardware than M$'s pockets. Checkout www.walmart.com.br to see PCs sold by Walmart with GNU/Linux installed. If they can do that in Brazil, they can do it anywhere because hardware is no problem. The reason Walmart sells few PCs with GNU/Linux in USA/Canada has nothing to do with hardware compatibility or ease of use.

Posted by: plattypus1 2012-08-21 11:40:54 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
Actually, most common Broadcom wi-fi cards (the b4300 series) will work in Linux. You just need to install the firmware from the Internet while connected via the wired connection. Ubuntu and derivatives even automate the process.

It's misleading to say that there are "no substitute drivers" compatible with Broadcom network cards.

Posted by: vikasc 2012-08-22 05:19:41 In reply to: plattypus1
In case above method doesn't work and if you have the windows drivers for your broadcom wifi card, you can also extract the firmware from the driver binary itself using an open source utility called "bcm43xx-fwcutter".
As mentioned above, Linux already has the drivers. You just need to install the right firmware !!

Posted by: hairyfeet 2012-08-25 17:59:45 In reply to: vikasc
Sure they work...as long as security like WPA 2 isn't something you actually care about. Me I'd prefer not to make my WiFi open for anyone and everyone to leech off of, thanks.

This article just shows what I've been saying for years which is Linux is NOT like Windows, its like Macs. Its no different than how you can build a Hackentosh IF you get the right parts and IF all the drivers work and IF you don't pick anything later that isn't well supported.

That is why if you want to run Linux? Buy from an actual Linux vendor like System76. Not only will you be assured the hardware is well supported but you'll be showing that Linux actually has an audience, unlike when you buy a Windows OEM that counts on the metrics as a Windows sale.
Jump to:
What is the greatest challenge to organizations implementing Artificial Intelligence?
A shortage of talent with the skills to utilize AI to its full potential.
AI can be expensive and the return on investment is questionable to decision makers.
AI is an unfamiliar and complex technology that is not yet fully trusted.
AI has its own set of cybersecurity concerns which require additional resources.
Dependability of AI technology is still in doubt.
Many view AI as an unnecessary luxury.