Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Salesforce Industries Summit
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

LinuxInsider Talkback

ECT News Community   »   LinuxInsider Talkback   »   Re: Is GNOME in Free Fall?

Re: Is GNOME in Free Fall?
Posted by: Katherine Noyes 2012-08-06 06:40:21
See Full Story

Between the arrival of both MATE 1.4 and KDE 4.9 and the emergence of SolusOS'
brand-new GNOME Classic on the scene, there's no denying it's been an exciting few weeks here in the world of Linux desktops. That, in turn, has made it all the more difficult to witness the identity crisis that has apparently befallen GNOME itself. "Core developers are leaving GNOME development," wrote developer Benjamin Otte in a recent blog post entitled, "Staring into the Abyss." Not only that, but "GNOME is understaffed," "GNOME has no goals" and "GNOME is losing market- and mindshare."

Posted by: kibert 2012-08-08 21:40:44 In reply to: Katherine Noyes
“In other words, the GNOME developers walked away from their existing user base, ignored the protests with ‘trust us, we know better than you what you really want,' and went ahead and designed something completely unsuitable..., and now they wonder where their users went," [Gerhard] Mack explained."

Gee, kinda sounds like you could be talking about Luke Skywalker over at Canonical. What IS going on with all these people? It's as though there's a brain-virus in the air which destroys all common sense as regards rational dealings with users--and, indeed, destroys the knowledge as to who is REALLY important in the equation--which are essential to the success of any enterprise.

Oh, and PLEASE don't forget the infamous "...go screw yourself, IBM; we'll do what we want. We don't care about your needs or concerns. As a matter of fact, we don’t need you at all...", by whoever the incompetent low-level minor functionary idiot at Mozilla was, who got his fifteen minutes of notoriety, as posited by Marshall McLuhan. Hopefully, this bonehead DID GET HIS (un-employability, that is). (I had forgotten this incident until I read this article. This Mozilla display of arrogance is such a sterling example of the problem you're discussing that I'm going to research who this Mozilla numbskull was, and file it away for posterity, and later use. It shouldn’t be hard at all to do; Mozilla really put themselves on the map with this one!).

This Mozilla example should also be a major part of any tech journalist's toolbox who wants to write on the subject of high-handed, arrogant, stupid techniques of entities who forget who got them where they are. Or were.

The ancient Greeks called it HUBRIS.

We call it HUBRIS.

Sincerely...

Posted by: herbie643 2012-08-06 16:04:31 In reply to: Katherine Noyes
Does anyone remember the Gnome-Shell in Ubuntu 10.10? I set it up and it was quite useable. Nice looking panel that had just about all you needed. They just had to improve on displaying the current applications.
Also I had said, "Why not move the Activities to the right corner." Since most people are right-handed it is much easier and there is an 'arc' when you move the mouse pointer that automatically goes to the right corner. All I got was, "Do you have any studies to back that up?"
Well, no I don't, but just try it yourself. You'll see the mousepointer goes to the upper right. At least for me. After all, 70%-90% of the population is right-handed.

Posted by: kmb42vt 2012-08-06 08:24:13 In reply to: Katherine Noyes
Apparently Gnome still hasn't gotten the message. Reading about what's coming in the upcoming version of Nautilus (3.6) that will be included in Ubuntu 12.10, Gnome is dumbing down the venerable filemanager even further (from WEB UPD8 article):

"There were also some features that were removed from Nautilus, like the "Text beside icons" option for the icon view. There's also no more "Extra pane" feature, sidebar tree view, option to show the statusbar or the option to create a new file - these were removed a while back."

These new changes coming in Nautilus 3.6 has prompted the Linux Mint developers to fork Nautilus for the next version of Linux Mint. The new fork will be called "Nemo".

Posted by: sicofante 2012-08-10 17:33:45 In reply to: kmb42vt
Ubuntu is considering alternatives to Nautilus 3.6, including staying on Nautilus 3.4, joining the development of Marlin or Nemo, or even starting their own file browser project themselves.

Since Marlin got early desktop handling support just a couple of days ago, I understand it's under Canonical's radar now.

Posted by: fewt 2012-08-06 06:43:49 In reply to: Katherine Noyes
I can't believe that you neglected to report that we are planning a second fork similar to MATE but with significantly different goals. I guess since we haven't formally announced it - you get a pass.

You do seem to ignore everything our project is doing though I'm curious as to why - ignoring us is something that isn't really in the communities best interest.

Our plan is to take all of the work we currently have in Fuduntu's GNOME 2 and merge it into the sources (we are still working from the forked Fedora sources but are applying and maintaining patches). Afterwards, rebrand it all so we can integrate it with GNOME 3, and then move it forward fixing bugs and continuing to beautify and modernize the product while retaining the classic desktop.

This is what I have so far: http://ompldr.org/vZXhwNQ - It just needs to be cleaned up a little more and rebranded.

Ideally we can build a community around it external to Fuduntu where it can also be adopted by other distributions. I'm starting to put the formal plan together and then I'll get it out there in hopes that we can build something great.

I'm hoping I can get the plan together and up on our blog for comment this week or next.

Posted by: fewt 2012-08-06 09:10:55 In reply to: fewt
Sorry, that sounded a lot more harsh and critical than I intended. XD
Jump to:
When considering a new smartwatch, which feature set is most important to you?
Alerts and Notifications
Calls and Messaging
Clock and Time Tracking
Contactless Payments and Banking
Design and Personalization
GPS and Maps
Health and Fitness
Music and Video
Women in Tech