Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

LinuxInsider Talkback

ECT News Community   »   LinuxInsider Talkback   »   Re: Linux Gaming Begins Gathering Steam

Re: Linux Gaming Begins Gathering Steam
Posted by: Peter Suciu 2012-07-18 01:24:38
See Full Story

Linux users have been mostly left out when trying to get in on the gaming action, but soon they'll be able to be "Left 4 Dead 2" instead. On Tuesday, Valve announced that it would bring its digital distribution service Steam to the Linux platform.
The company reportedly formed a new team last year to work on a full-featured version of the Steam client for Ubuntu 12.04, and the result is "Left 4 Dead 2," a first-person action game developed by Valve and set in world overrun by zombies.

Posted by: g1i1ch 2012-07-18 01:26:08 In reply to: Peter Suciu
About time, as a long time Ubuntu user I'm really tired of having to dual boot to play my favorite games. I'll be the first to jump on board as soon as it's available and I'll make it worth their wild with my wallet.

Posted by: hairyfeet 2012-07-21 12:46:14 In reply to: g1i1ch
I'm sorry but without a viable competitor to directX what you'll get is Valve and the same Humble Bundles you could get without Steam. Its sad but Kronos has really hindered FOSS gaming by holding back OpenGL to favor the CAD devs and forcing the hardware OEMs to use extensions, which means it may work one way on AMD, another on Nvidia, and a third way on Intel. Compare this to directX where DX11 is DX11 no matter whose hardware you have.

So I hope that someone, maybe Valve, forks OpenGL away from Kronos. With TLC and support like OpenGL had in the 90s it could easily overtake directX again, especially with Ballmer running MSFT into the ground with dumb moves like refusing to backport directX 10 and 11 to XP and thus fragmenting the market, but as long as Kronos controls the direction its just not gonna happen.
Jump to:
What is the greatest challenge to organizations implementing Artificial Intelligence?
A shortage of talent with the skills to utilize AI to its full potential.
AI can be expensive and the return on investment is questionable to decision makers.
AI is an unfamiliar and complex technology that is not yet fully trusted.
AI has its own set of cybersecurity concerns which require additional resources.
Dependability of AI technology is still in doubt.
Many view AI as an unnecessary luxury.