Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Salesforce Industries Summit
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

LinuxInsider Talkback

ECT News Community   »   LinuxInsider Talkback   »   Re: The Grounding of Mozilla's Thunderbird

Re: The Grounding of Mozilla's Thunderbird
Posted by: Katherine Noyes 2012-07-16 13:26:33
See Full Story

There may be no end in sight to the ongoing Secure Boot Saga in the Windows 8 world, but the same, alas, cannot be said for Mozilla's Thunderbird. No, as was apparently prematurely revealed by a leaked email earlier this month, the "end" for the desktop email client may be all too near now that it's no longer "a priority for Mozilla's product efforts." Rather, while security maintenance updates for the software will continue, any further feature development is being turned over to the community.

Posted by: usul_of_arakis 2012-07-16 13:29:09 In reply to: Katherine Noyes
I have 6 active email addresses used for diverse purposes. I don't want to log into 6 different webmail services every day to check email, Thunderbird feeds them to me.

Posted by: hairyfeet 2012-07-20 09:29:46 In reply to: usul_of_arakis
Uhhh...You can do that with webmail too ya know. I have 5 email addresses that are all going through my Gmail so I don't have to log into anything, Gmail does it for me.

As a retailer I can tell you I haven't seen a download email client on a consumer machine in years, and the younger generations have no desire to use old download mail, so while I'm sure there will always be a few guys like you (just as I'm sure there are probably some guys using Gopher out there) its just not cost effective to waste developers on a product whose times was past years ago. RIP TBird.
Jump to:
When considering a new smartwatch, which feature set is most important to you?
Alerts and Notifications
Calls and Messaging
Clock and Time Tracking
Contactless Payments and Banking
Design and Personalization
GPS and Maps
Health and Fitness
Music and Video