Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Salesforce Industries Summit
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

LinuxInsider Talkback

ECT News Community   »   LinuxInsider Talkback   »   Re: Linux Mint Is a Refreshing Palate Cleanser

Re: Linux Mint Is a Refreshing Palate Cleanser
Posted by: Jack M. Germain 2011-11-23 07:39:34
See Full Story

The Linux community and Linux users are at odds over the transition from GNOME 2 to GNOME 3 as the backbone desktop environment for the OS. Ubuntu's developers muddied the situation with its newcomer Unity desktop alternative. Given the situation, Linux Mint may offer the best solution if you need time to adjust to the radical changes in the GNOME 3 desktop. I was an avowed Ubuntu user until its developers created and pushed the Unity desktop shell as the default approach that avoided GNOME 3.

CHOICE, remember?
Posted by: Runaway1956 2011-11-24 10:29:38 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
"Like it or not, GNOME 3 is the new direction for the Linux OS."

I almost stopped reading, right there. "Gnome" and "Linux" are not synonymous, not even close. I'm typing from a Sabayon7 desktop right now, test driving the new Gnome. And, I don't like it.

My solution? I'm moving to Enlightenment.

I've never actually counted the desktops available to Linux users, but I'm sure there are at least a dozen. Anyone who attempts to link Linux to a specific desktop manager has missed the whole point of using Linux in the first place.

good alternative
Posted by: madjr 2011-11-23 07:43:18 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
i like and use unity everyday, but mint12 will be another great alternative for my friends using gnome2 and clients in case they dont want to go with unity. also i personally didnt liked vanilla g-shell so this i will try.
Jump to:
When considering a new smartwatch, which feature set is most important to you?
Alerts and Notifications
Calls and Messaging
Clock and Time Tracking
Contactless Payments and Banking
Design and Personalization
GPS and Maps
Health and Fitness
Music and Video