Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

LinuxInsider Talkback

ECT News Community   »   LinuxInsider Talkback   »   Re: Ardour: An Audio Editor That's Hard to Master and Tough to Beat

Re: Ardour: An Audio Editor That's Hard to Master and Tough to Beat
Posted by: Jack M. Germain 2011-11-18 14:06:53
See Full Story

Using a fully functional digital audio workstation, or DAW, is a computing necessity only for hard-core audiophiles, musicians and those who package audio and video content. If you fit one of those categories and do not know about Ardour, you could be pleasantly surprised at its power and relative ease-of-use. Ardour is the go-to app of choice on Linux for many audio editors. I have less use for a top-of-the-line DAW, however. I was getting along fine with until I needed specialized results for a project on which I was consulting.

Ardour
Posted by: WJM51 2011-11-19 08:08:00 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
Ardour is one of the best programs I've ever been fortunate enough to use. I have found that the limitations involved are not due to the program, but my limited knowledge of it, and I've been using it since the pre 1.0 days.

On your memlock issue, try going into the Jack setup and turn memlock off. It's on the left side of the panel and is a check box. Click it to turn off memlock and your warning about running out of memory will go away, I believe.

I wish there were a printed manual, like I find for Blender, for instance, where there are LOTS of books on how to use it's incredible power. Ardour could benefit from such a manual as well, I think. I prefer things on paper, still, being an OLD guy. As I play with the program, there are plenty of things I have found by accident that aren't mentioned anywhere in the docs, from what I can tell.

Great program, and when you add in Jamin, you have a real environment for CD production. Insert it after the master faders, and it will allow you to maximize the sound level on your CD without going over or dealing with serious under volume conditions.

Oh, BTW, Ardour under linux can use VST plugins as well, if you are running wine as well.
Jump to:
What is the greatest challenge to organizations implementing Artificial Intelligence?
A shortage of talent with the skills to utilize AI to its full potential.
AI can be expensive and the return on investment is questionable to decision makers.
AI is an unfamiliar and complex technology that is not yet fully trusted.
AI has its own set of cybersecurity concerns which require additional resources.
Dependability of AI technology is still in doubt.
Many view AI as an unnecessary luxury.