Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Women in Tech
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

LinuxInsider Talkback

ECT News Community   »   LinuxInsider Talkback   »   Re: Will a Spoonful of Mint Help the GNOME 3 Go Down?

Re: Will a Spoonful of Mint Help the GNOME 3 Go Down?
Posted by: Katherine Noyes 2011-11-14 07:18:53
See Full Story

If a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down, as Mary Poppins once sagely said, will a splash of Mint help users swallow GNOME 3? That, indeed, appears to be the question of the day now that the Linux Mint project has announced a hybrid desktop strategy for Linux Mint 12 that's apparently designed to help ease users into the controversial new interface. The future of Linux Mint is GNOME 3," asserted Clement Lefebvre, Linux Mint founder and project leader, in a recent blog post.

funny
Posted by: madjr 2011-11-16 09:29:04 In reply to: Katherine Noyes
mint "overtaking" ubuntu is just funny.

if you're using mint you are using ubuntu (unless you go with mint debian, which is a good start to independence for them)

in a year almost all those that complained will be back in the ubuntu train again (in fact not even that many left and are just using xubuntu or lubuntu).

and in terms of quality the upcoming versions of ubuntu will be hard to beat, because there will be tremendous amount of work invested in them during these cycles.

but i do agree that ubuntu needs to become more customizable and that is something that would not be so hard to do.

Torrents away!
Posted by: WorBlux 2011-11-14 12:36:12 In reply to: Katherine Noyes
"To wit: Mint has "a half-dozen developers; they have less than 100 mirrors," Pogson pointed out. "Ubuntu has 380 with many at gigabit/s speed or 10 gigabit/s speed.""

Integrate the apt client with a rtorrent backend, and Have Mint can run their own tracker. Have a minimum cache set up at install time, and you'll never need more than a dozen mirrors.

One can have the Bottom Panel or a Dock with the Latest Ubuntu
Posted by: IndianArt 2011-11-14 10:00:49 In reply to: Katherine Noyes
Here is a very good suggestion for those who dislike Unity & for Ubuntu users who liked the 'good old' Ubuntu: Install Cairo / AWN Dock

Ubuntu 11.10 + Cairo / AWN Dock = Awesome!

This way you have the eye candy of Unity & Cairo Dock. I find Cairo Dock has some functionality & accessibility that has yet to come to Unity.

I run it on Unity & am very pleased.

I have installed Compiz Config Settings Manager & Selected "Autohide" in the 'Hide Launcher' option.

So when the computer boots you only see the Cairo Dock. But Unity is always there when you need it (Mouse over Left border of the screen).

In fact, some "Themes" in Cairo are like the screen shots I saw when I Googled images of Gnome 3. (Clock on the top & Center).

Another solution I got thanks to Jo-Erlend Schinstad: “However, if you just want a window switcher at the bottom of the screen, then you can easily get that with Unity. We have several panels to choose from, like xfce4-panel, which you can install by following this link: http://apt.ubuntu.com/p/xfce4-panel. When it is installed, you can run it by pressing alt+f2 and typing xfce4-panel. If you want to keep using it, then you’ll want to add that command to your startup applications. If you want to see a screenshot, here you go:http://ubuntuone.com/0X1JuF6HRTwEb5U1JyIk1D
. As you can see, it’s perfectly possible and easy to have both.”

linux mint 12
Posted by: dewey711 2011-11-14 07:54:58 In reply to: Katherine Noyes
hi my name is dewey, i am a linux user and have tried many distros but have always come back to mint.i think the latest is the greatest, it has a very clean destop appearance and is very appealing. i think they do very good work and have done it right. been using linux for 8 years and would not change, im here to say mint is the best.
Jump to:
What is the greatest challenge to organizations implementing Artificial Intelligence?
A shortage of talent with the skills to utilize AI to its full potential.
AI can be expensive and the return on investment is questionable to decision makers.
AI is an unfamiliar and complex technology that is not yet fully trusted.
AI has its own set of cybersecurity concerns which require additional resources.
Dependability of AI technology is still in doubt.
Many view AI as an unnecessary luxury.