Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Women in Tech
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

LinuxInsider Talkback

ECT News Community   »   LinuxInsider Talkback   »   Re: Garmin Takes a New Tack With Linux-Based Nav Phone

Re: Garmin Takes a New Tack With Linux-Based Nav Phone
Posted by: Katherine Noyes 2009-10-03 06:16:52
See Full Story

After nearly two years of anticipation, Garmin and AT&T announced Tuesday that the long-awaited Garmin Nuvifone G60 will become available in the United States starting Oct. 4. Billed as "the navigation phone" for its integration of phone capabilities with GPS functionality, the Linux-based device will be sold online and in AT&T stores for $299, after a $100 mail-in rebate. A two-year service agreement with AT&T is required. The Nuvifone G60 offers the same core features as a high-end Garmin Nuvi device and comes preloaded with maps.

GPL
Posted by: pogson 2009-10-03 06:25:57 In reply to: Katherine Noyes
It seems Garmin also gets the GPL. They include source code at http://developer.garmin.com/linux/

"propietary build of Mobil Linux" could be expanded a bit. It may be that some parts of the distributed binary code are proprietary and some are FLOSS/GPL. The source code download is 332 MB, much more than just the kernel... I haven't poked around in the download.

It sounds like a good product. If only I weren't cell-phone averse I might buy one. I could use a new GPS device though if they produce one that runs GNU/Linux.
Jump to:
What is the greatest challenge to organizations implementing Artificial Intelligence?
A shortage of talent with the skills to utilize AI to its full potential.
AI can be expensive and the return on investment is questionable to decision makers.
AI is an unfamiliar and complex technology that is not yet fully trusted.
AI has its own set of cybersecurity concerns which require additional resources.
Dependability of AI technology is still in doubt.
Many view AI as an unnecessary luxury.