Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

LinuxInsider Talkback

ECT News Community   »   LinuxInsider Talkback   »   Re: Is Sexism Rampant in FOSS?

Re: Is Sexism Rampant in FOSS?
Posted by: Katherine Noyes 2009-09-21 05:25:30
See Full Story

Sex is a sensitive subject in virtually any industry or profession, and FOSS, it appears, is no exception. Indeed, a recent article by Datamation's Bruce Byfield, "Sexism: Open Source Software's Dirty Little Secret," has set off a conflagration on the Linux blogs. It's been difficult to see any other topics, so high have been the flames and so thick the smoke. "Sexism is systemic in FOSS, and has been for years," Byfield wrote.

How about Eye Candy?
Posted by: Runaway1956 2009-09-21 05:35:42 In reply to: Katherine Noyes
Do a couple days of research on vision. While the numbers have changed somewhat since I learned them, about one in four men is at least a little bit color blind. Fewer than one in one thousand women is even the tiniest bit color blind. I LIKE Linux desktops in general, because they are clean, high contrast, with little distraction. I DISLIKE Windows desktops, because they are filled with eye candy. Incidentally, I am both red and green "color challenged". Now, bear in mind that women spend billions of dollars on make up, home decor, and pretty paint on their cars. Do we need a rocket scientist to draw a conclusion?

Want to attract women to *nix and open source? Put some time and effort into making it PRETTY!! But, before you even start, invite some fashion experts and home designers to advise you on what is pretty. Leave it up to us guys, and the best we can hope for is a condescending, "That's nice." (Hint: little girls aren't going to be terribly impressed by FPS counts, or how realistically blood and gore flies across the screen.)
Jump to:
What is the greatest challenge to organizations implementing Artificial Intelligence?
A shortage of talent with the skills to utilize AI to its full potential.
AI can be expensive and the return on investment is questionable to decision makers.
AI is an unfamiliar and complex technology that is not yet fully trusted.
AI has its own set of cybersecurity concerns which require additional resources.
Dependability of AI technology is still in doubt.
Many view AI as an unnecessary luxury.