Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

LinuxInsider Talkback

ECT News Community   »   LinuxInsider Talkback   »   Re: Should FOSS 'Match Microsoft' on Interoperability?

Re: Should FOSS 'Match Microsoft' on Interoperability?
Posted by: Katherine Noyes 2009-08-17 04:40:08
See Full Story

Well the ink had barely dried on our recent Linux Blog Safari column about security when news came out last week that a new Linux kernel vulnerability had been discovered. D'oh! Affecting all 2.4 and 2.6 kernels since 2001 on all architectures, the flaw was found and then described Thursday on the cr0 blog by Julien Tinnes and Tavis Ormandy. "Since it leads to the kernel executing code at NULL, the vulnerability is as trivial as it can get to exploit," wrote Tinnes.

Shows true stripes
Posted by: mharr 2009-08-17 04:47:42 In reply to: Katherine Noyes
Once again, the "Open Source" community shows its true stripes. They are not interested in openness or interoperability, only MS-bashing. Like the false liberals of the current BHO administration, they are for "open source" and "interoperability", but only if they get to define the terms. Sorry, but that doesn't work.

And the Linux bug? Updating code in a private source code library is not "patched". Deployed and installed is "patched". How many vulnerable servers have been patched? None? half-dozen? Since Linux has no emergency patch deployment, scheme, is still very real.

When did you last use Linux?
Posted by: gmack 2009-08-17 23:23:12 In reply to: mharr
I get the feeling you last used Linux somewhere in the 1990s.

These days most Linux distros have an emergency patch deployment system. My servers do one better and Nagios emails me if there are critical patches that haven't been installed yet so generally I have machines fully updated less than 24 hours after Debian releases a security update.

All of the machines I admin have had the kernel security update installed so by your definition I'm patched.

come on...
Posted by: bugmenot 2009-08-17 12:38:47 In reply to: mharr
Surely you can troll better than that...
Jump to:
When considering a new smartwatch, which feature set is most important to you?
Alerts and Notifications
Calls and Messaging
Clock and Time Tracking
Contactless Payments and Banking
Design and Personalization
GPS and Maps
Health and Fitness
Music and Video