Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

LinuxInsider Talkback

ECT News Community   »   LinuxInsider Talkback   »   Re: Migrating to Linux, Part 2: Avoiding Separation Anxiety

Re: Migrating to Linux, Part 2: Avoiding Separation Anxiety
Posted by: Jack M. Germain 2009-07-24 09:42:20
See Full Story

Six months ago, I began a self-imposed experiment to see if I could survive leaving Windows XP behind. After all, despite its flaws and decade-old technology, the aging Microsoft OS had served me well. However, I decided to skip Windows 7 when it comes to town in October. Vista was never worthy of my consideration, and I have too much cash and data invested in my home office inventory of five X86-vintage computers to replace them with Macs. I finessed my way into regularly using Ubuntu Linux and Puppy Linux on all of my computers.

Migrating to Linux
Posted by: ron1221 2009-07-27 07:27:28 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
I tried TITAN LEV and I must say that it does indeed address these problems. Once I installed it and went through the quick setup, I was able to migrate all of my Windows preferences, contacts and settings to TITAN LEV and start productive work almost immediately. I especially liked the User Interface that looks like Windows XP and the ability to share files and printers with other PC's in my Windows network. I can definitely say that this Linux Distro can make the migration to Linux easier and more convenient for every user with Windows experience. I have not had a chance yet to explore all the programs that came bundled with this package, but from a cursory review I can tell that it has every program that I think I'll need. I like the fact that I will not have to search for open source programs and fight with their installation because this is another aspect of Linux I was afraid of. Lastly, I noticed that it also came with an Office 2007 installer. This is a great surprise, because I know that on rare occasions, I'll still need to use Office and having that option available is again easing the migration. The people that developed this Distro really did a great job.

Migration from Windows to Linux is plug and play with TITAN LEV
Posted by: yoramn 2009-07-24 23:54:43 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
TITAN LEV (www.titanlev.com) is a distribution based on Ubuntu and includes automatic settings for all items discussed in this article. File and folder synchronization, file and printer sharing (you can print on a Windows printer even if this printer has no Linux driver), migration of email from outlook to Evolution and synchronization of contacts, calendars tasks and notes between Evolution, Outlook and mobile phones.
Jump to:
What is the greatest challenge to organizations implementing Artificial Intelligence?
A shortage of talent with the skills to utilize AI to its full potential.
AI can be expensive and the return on investment is questionable to decision makers.
AI is an unfamiliar and complex technology that is not yet fully trusted.
AI has its own set of cybersecurity concerns which require additional resources.
Dependability of AI technology is still in doubt.
Many view AI as an unnecessary luxury.