Get the ECT News Network Editor's Pick Newsletter » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Ideoclick eBook
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

LinuxInsider Talkback

ECT News Community   »   LinuxInsider Talkback   »   Re: How the Virtual Workforce Is Changing Everything

Re: How the Virtual Workforce Is Changing Everything
Posted by: Jack M. Germain 2009-01-09 07:40:12
See Full Story

In a society far away and long ago, people mostly farmed and ran storefront businesses where they lived. Then came the migration to the cities, where a new generation of workers stuffed into bulging urban-based factory jobs. Many spent their entire adult lives working for The Man in an upstairs office. Then more social changes and transportation advancements happened. Those improvements let workers move to a suburban home and travel to city jobs in buses and trains and autos.

Re: How the Virtual Workforce Is Changing Everything
Posted by: Redbutler 2015-06-01 10:39:30 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
It's obvious the new generation will get to enjoy a new way of working. Delegating work to virtual assistants can help your business grow steadily or rapidly depending on what your business needs.

The "Crowds" Are Getting Trampled.
Posted by: jcweatherby 2009-01-19 06:15:15 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
With a lot of spare time on my hands I recently signed up with Poptent.net, the crowdsource platform which asks users to create commercials for the likes of Annheiser Busch, and others, who are seeking ways to engage their target demo while saving money on creative. Again, this is a great way for Advertisers to select product that is most appealing and useful to them. But for the vast majority of people who spend time, money, and energy creating these "spec" pieces it's a COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME because odds are they will never receive one penny for their efforts. How is this a sustainable model for service vendors? It isn't!

Furthermore, Poptent and their Advertising partners try to strap suppliers with an agreement which forbids the supplier from using the spec material they create in any way outside the "contest." This means even if you spend your time and resources to create something with no guarantee of pay, you have no right of ownership over the thing you create, and are therefore unable to derive ANY benefit from your hard work.

I don't believe there is any court which would uphold such an agreement, as there is no exchange of valuable consideration (money) between poptent and the buyer. Nevertheless, this points to the weakness in the whole concept; there's no such thing as a free lunch. Poptent wants to create and maintain an ecosystem of preferred creators, but I don't know to many of them (myself included) who can afford to work indefinitely for free.

Dream On! Wages LOWER Not Higher.
Posted by: jcweatherby 2009-01-19 05:55:35 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
Jack Hughes isn't on the front line looking for jobs, working the jobs, or getting paid to do them. Recently I signed up with oDesk, the virtual work platform which is "changing the way the world works." And I can tell you from personal experience wages are going down, not up, because now we (American workers) must compete DIRECTLY with workers in the Phillipines and India who charge a fraction of what we would normally charge. Secondly - as of this moment - there are 174,000 people around the world competing for just 4,000 jobs. Lastly, oDesk, holds worker pay and charges workers to transfer it into accounts from which the worker can draw. No doubt oDesk is banking these funds and making money on the interest. Yes the workplace is changing, but as usual it's the buyers and the entities who manage the relationships between worker and buyer which benefit most. The worker, isolated in his tiny home office with no bargaining leverage, is getting squeezed. So much for the virtual Utopia.
Jump to: