Get the E-Commerce Minute Newsletter from the E-Commerce Times » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

LinuxInsider Talkback

ECT News Community   »   LinuxInsider Talkback   »   Re: Should Linux Cost More?

Re: Should Linux Cost More?
Posted by: Katherine Noyes 2008-02-25 12:11:39
See Full Story

If Microsoft didn't figure prominently in the Linux blogs over the course of any given week, it would be as if the crew of the Enterprise temporarily forgot to pay attention to the Klingons -- it just doesn't happen. What was unusual this week, however, was that much of the discussion in the blogosphere was triggered by an overture of sorts by the Redmond giant to the open source community. For those who missed it, Microsoft announced Thursday that it would make Windows and other products work better with non-Microsoft software.

Re: Should Linux Cost More?
Posted by: danceswithcat 2008-02-26 04:30:23 In reply to: Katherine Noyes
Well, that's all very well if you're a witless first-world consumer buying for style. If, however, you are a hard-pressed educational institute or talented individual in the developing world, trying to better yourself on horribly limited resources, Linux is your chance to overcome the imperialist economic exclusion of high priced entry costs into the global conversation.
Take up in Amurka is a secondary issue. The point of the Ubuntu distro is that if you are excluded from computing you are excluded from development and the growing global political forum. Free, open, and requiring basic hardware. That is what is important about Linux.
Jump to:
Which COVID-19 vaccine would you prefer to receive if offered to you today?
Johnson & Johnson
Moderna
Pfizer-BioNTech
I'll take any COVID-19 vaccine that is made available to me right now.
I'm not sure. I need more time to make an educated decision.
I'm not interested in getting a COVID-19 vaccine at this time.