Explore Newsletters from ECT News Network » View Samples | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

LinuxInsider Talkback

ECT News Community   »   LinuxInsider Talkback   »   Re: Iran's Supercomputer Envy Doesn't Make All Iranian IT Pros Evil

Re: Iran's Supercomputer Envy Doesn't Make All Iranian IT Pros Evil
Posted by: Don Tennant 2008-01-19 07:28:02
See Full Story

In order to make the point that Iran's illicit acquisition of AMD processors to build a supercomputer should not be allowed to fuel a blanket indictment of the Iranian IT community, I asserted in a column I wrote last month that the vast majority of Iranian technologists are no different from their U.S. counterparts. Was that a stretch? Some readers thought so. "I agree that it is most likely true that 'there are good people in Iran who are trying to use technology to improve people's lives,' and that to assume all Iranian technological progress is inherently dangerous is ignorant," one wrote.

Re: Iran's Supercomputer Envy Doesn't Make All Iranian IT Pros Evil
Posted by: sshadfar 2008-01-19 09:14:41 In reply to: Don Tennant
Good article.
The Iranian community in the United States does not cooperate in any shape or form with the regime in Iran. The Iranian community in the US, based on Census 2004, is the most educated community and the richest. They have fled their country and have contributed to the advancement of science and technology in the US (as they have in the last 5,000 years in the world history). Iranians keep low profile because of the unfortunate politics. A few examples: P. Omidyar, founder of eBay, Omid Kordestani, the business brain behnd Google, Anoosheh Ansari, Founder of Ansari X-Prize, the head of the Mars Mission at the NASA, K. Elahian, founder of Cirrus Logics, F. Mohit, founder of Bizrate.com and many other entrepreneurs
Iran obtains all sorts of comupters from the next door Dubai which is to Iran very much as Hong Kong was to China.
Jump to: