Get the ECT News Network Weekly Newsletter » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Digital River - Talk to the Experts
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

LinuxInsider Talkback

ECT News Community   »   LinuxInsider Talkback   »   Re: Intel Feels Fury of OLPC Scorned

Re: Intel Feels Fury of OLPC Scorned
Posted by: Fred J. Aun 2008-01-09 12:48:35
See Full Story

The strained relationship between the One Laptop Per Child organization and Intel has come to an inglorious end with Intel resigning and OLPC claiming the chipmaker "contributed nothing of value." Intel and OLPC announced in July they would work together "to bring the benefits of technology to the developing world through synergy of their respective programs." It was an unusual pairing to begin with, since the OLPC's cheap XO notebooks are based on AMD processors and because Intel has a product of its own -- the Classmate -- that competes with the XO.

Re: Intel Feels Fury of OLPC Scorned
Posted by: jackhidary 2008-01-09 23:17:59 In reply to: Fred J. Aun
I am lucky enough to have one of the new XO laptops from olpc. this device is nothing short of revolutionary.
more thoughtful design went into this object than the boeing 777.
it is not just about the hardware. this software -with its many opportunities for kids to program and experiment - will lead to even further innovation.
intel is acting like a lumbering elephant in its heavy-footed approach on this. sad but predictable.
before you make any judgement on this venture get hold of an XO and give it a whirl.
Jack
Jump to:
Which in-person activity do you most want to resume when the pandemic is over?
Attend my place of worship
Frequent bars, clubs or restaurants
Gather with family or friends
Go to entertainment or sporting events
Join colleagues at work or business events
Participate in group athletics or exercise
Return to my school
Take my children to their school
Travel
Visit my health practitioners