Explore Newsletters from ECT News Network » View Samples | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Ideoclick eBook
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

LinuxInsider Talkback

ECT News Community   »   LinuxInsider Talkback   »   Re: Report: Government Entities Quick to Adopt Open Source

Re: Report: Government Entities Quick to Adopt Open Source
Posted by: Jay Lyman 2006-07-25 16:06:00
See Full Story

Government entities around the world are not only increasing their use of free and open source software, they are actually sharing, collaborating and coordinating in open source fashion to meet federal, state and local government IT needs, recent data suggests. IDC's government IT research company Government Insights predicts open source software will gain momentum faster in the government sector than in any other market segment over the next five to ten years, earning a 30 percent compound annual growth rate through 2009.

a few clarifications
Posted by: etbe 2006-07-25 16:30:34 In reply to: Jay Lyman
Firstly the people involved in SE Linux development generally prefer to avoid the term "Trusted Linux". The proprietary "Trusted Unix" OSs have a bad reputation for being difficult to use, expensive, and poorly supported by applications.
SE Linux is a core feature in Red Hat distributions and is being included in Debian and Gentoo. This makes it popular enough to have a good level of community knowledge and application support. Thus it won't fail in the market as the "Trusted Unix" products did.
SE Linux is not an "operating system", it is a mandatory access control system for Linux comprising a kernel patch to enforce access control and a set of patches to a number of applications and utilities. All the relevant code has been accepted by upstream repositories such as kernel.org - SE Linux is a standard Linux feature.
Jump to:
Which COVID-19 vaccine would you prefer to receive if offered to you today?
Johnson & Johnson
Moderna
Pfizer-BioNTech
I'll take any COVID-19 vaccine that is made available to me right now.
I'm not sure. I need more time to make an educated decision.
I'm not interested in getting a COVID-19 vaccine at this time.