Get the ECT News Network Weekly Newsletter » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

LinuxInsider Talkback

ECT News Community   »   LinuxInsider Talkback   »   Re: Don't Let 'Intellectual Property' Twist Your Ethos

Re: Don't Let 'Intellectual Property' Twist Your Ethos
Posted by: By Richard Stallman 2006-06-09 20:11:34
See Full Story

Most free software licenses are based on copyright law, and for good reason: Copyright law is much more uniform among countries than contract law, which is the other possible choice. There's another reason not to use contract law: It would require every distributor to get a user's formal assent to the contract before providing a copy. To hand someone a CD without getting his signature first would be forbidden. What a pain in the neck!

Re: Don't Let 'Intellectual Property' Twist Your Ethos
Posted by: MikeOD 2006-06-09 20:27:43 In reply to: By Richard Stallman
>What the Constitution says is that copyright law and patent law are optional.... They are not rights that their holders are entitled to<
What a crock. I suppose "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" are optional as well? How about the laws against property theft? Are they optional as well? There is no difference between your car or your stereo and intellectual property. If it serves the "public benefit" for them to be taken from you, that would be okay with you? Get a clue.
Jump to:
Which COVID-19 vaccine would you prefer to receive if offered to you today?
Johnson & Johnson
Moderna
Pfizer-BioNTech
I'll take any COVID-19 vaccine that is made available to me right now.
I'm not sure. I need more time to make an educated decision.
I'm not interested in getting a COVID-19 vaccine at this time.