Explore Newsletters from ECT News Network » View Samples | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

LinuxInsider Talkback

ECT News Community   »   LinuxInsider Talkback   »   Re: Uncertainty Clouds Red Hat, JBoss Tie-Up

Re: Uncertainty Clouds Red Hat, JBoss Tie-Up
Posted by: China Martens 2006-05-12 06:11:55
See Full Story

Red Hat's surprise April announcement that it's acquiring JBoss could upend accepted wisdom about both the size and function of open source software companies. Still, some customers are taking a wait-and-see attitude toward the deal. The US$350 million cash and stock deal will bulk up Red Hat with JBoss's middleware and push the Linux maker farther up the software stack with traditional infrastructure suppliers like IBM, Microsoft and Oracle. However, tighter integration with Red Hat could complicate the plans of some enterprise customers.

Re: Uncertainty Clouds Red Hat, JBoss Tie-Up
Posted by: cbearman 2006-05-12 06:33:24 In reply to: China Martens
It's misleading to say ...
"The combined organization will have a "soup-to-nuts open-source stack" with operating system, middleware, virtualization and development tools, Gardner said, which will allow the company to cater to the needs of enterprises across the board"
...because
1. Almost every Linux distribution has a soup-to-nuts stack, since most include apache tomcat, eclipse AND database packages.
2. There's been no official statement that JBoss is going to be packaged WITH the RH distro.
3. Right now other distro vendors have the option to offer JBoss subscriptions. That's exactly what SUSE does.
4. RedHat is not unique with a soup-to-nuts stack. SUSE Linux Enterprise 10 ALSO has op system, middleware (including options for JBoss AND Geronimo in addition to Tomcat), virtualization with an integrated Xen 3.0 hypervisor, and development tools. One could argue that the range of development tools is actually larger on SUSE since it includes the Mono toolset in addition to traditional C and Java toolchains.
Jump to:
Which COVID-19 vaccine would you prefer to receive if offered to you today?
Johnson & Johnson
Moderna
Pfizer-BioNTech
I'll take any COVID-19 vaccine that is made available to me right now.
I'm not sure. I need more time to make an educated decision.
I'm not interested in getting a COVID-19 vaccine at this time.